T18/Dana300 swap update

Yup, that is why I am changing it.

Is there a way you can tell from the flywheel what disc/clutch size it needs ?

Ron

Mike Roma> Did the last clutch work?

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Hey Mike,

is that the clutch out of your rig ?

that's a diafragm style clutch..(or was) isn't it ?

Ron

Mike Roma> Live and learn eh...

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I run an eleven and half inch Scheifer:

:-) God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yup, use a tape measure on the flywheel wear mark....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, that burned out clutch pressure plate came out of my rig and is a photo I took.

I was told it was a 'center force' clutch...

One month past warranty too eh! Grrr....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

What was the cause of this, to late now since mine is all bolted up, but if it goes, what was it? Greg

Greg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The Jeep T-150, T-18, T-176, SR-4, T-4, and T-5 all use a 1 1/8" 10 spline input shaft and the Ford T-18 uses a 1 1/16" 10 spline input shaft. Your old clutch disk will not fit snuggly on the Ford input shaft, so you will need to purchase a new disk. The disk can be a regular 10 1/2" Ford disk (or 11" if you have an 11" clutch). The Centerforce clutch disk #384180 is a 10 1/2" clutch that will fit the Ford transmission.

So does that mean that a standard 79 CJ clutch won't work ?

Ron

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

The standard '79 jeep clutch does work - unlike the '81+ model years, the '79 uses a 1 1/16" 10 spline input shaft. The later models have a 1 1/8" 10 spline input shaft.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Ahhh.. ok...

looks like I am ready to go.. wish it was freezing a little less so I can get started.

Ron

Robert Bills wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Clarification: on further reflection (being "old" sometimes means fuzzy memory), SOME of the '79 applications use the 1 1/16" shaft - best way to determine what stock jeep clutch you need is to call Advance Adapters on Tuesday and ask them for the stock jeep application that works. There IS an alternative to the expensive Centerforce clutch. They recommend the Centerforce unit because that is what they sell, not because it is the "only" clutch that works.