Clutch shuttering on CJ5

Hi All,

Within the last month my clutch seems to shutter when engaging from a stop. In other words, if I am at a stand still and attempt to move forward or reverse, my clutch acts up by making a shuttering sound and feel about halfway though pedal travel while engaging. My Jeep is a '75 CJ5 258. The clutch is not slipping at all. Just shuttering. I hope it just needs adjusting, but I probably won't be that lucky.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Try adjusting the free play first but, it sounds like the flywheel maybe glazed and needs to be turned.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Can be all kinds of things.

ranging from a broken motormount to mud/oil in the clutch. (the tranny mount)

for example a 'torque arm" is mounted on the tranny mount of a T150 so it can move a little....but not too much.

if the nut that keeps the bushings in place is gone (or when the bushings are gone or half gone) then the tranny can move a lot more and shutter is one of those things that can start happening. Also check tranny bolts etc (they do break sometimes);

R> Hi All,

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

I agree, it could be many things. The bushings I think I'll check first. I've never looked for these before. Are they under the tranny on the cross-member?

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I think you have one or more broken motor mounts.

Reply to
CRWLR

That is one symptom of a broken tranny mount.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The bushings are likely all that is left holding it on. The square pad in the middle is likely broken. You can use a pry bar to lift up on it to see.

The bushings are supposed to have about 1" of free play up and down on the sides of the outrigger arm so if you look, you will see them flopping around basically.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes there's a bar (at least there's supposed to be one) between the "main" trannymount and the transmission that extends to the driver side. On the driverside end there's a post with one inch thick bushing on top of the bar and one beneath the bar with a post going through it that is mounted on the skidplate/crossmember. A lot of times it is missing or parts are missing or the rubber rotted away. The torque arm prevents the tranny from twisting too much. but it should have "some" play in two directions. When replacing them get the rubber ones, they don't last as long as the poly-urethane ones .. but the poly ones are too stiff.

Ron

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg