Tahoe vs. JGC - help!

I just sold my '95 ZJ. It's been a very dependable ride for the past

162,000 miles. I've been looking at the '02 and '03 JGC Limited's and reading reviews. I think their interior and amenities blow away the Tahoe, but I keep running across these nagging reviews about people having continuous maintenance issues. The extra space in a Tahoe would be nice, but is not a must for me. Can someone set my mind at ease? Is their maintenance really that bad?

Also, anyone have photos/information on the '05 Grand Cherokee? I thought they were supposed to release it at the auto shows recently...

Thanks,

Aaron (Jeep-less is four days)

Reply to
Shiltsy

It's hard to compare the two vehicles... Personally I would take the Tahoe over the GC for towing, winter driving and size but if you want any future off road capability then you should lean toward the GC. The Tahoe can hold its own on light trails but if you're planning on upgrades for a more serious trail rig you're wasting time and money.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

We're on our second Grand Cherokee, both with the 4.7L engine. We enjoyed and had such good luck with our leased '99 JGC that we bought a 2002 JGC when the first JGC's lease was up. So far, we're still extremely happy with it. And that 4.7L engine is a great engine that makes the JGC a great highway vehicle... and that the plugs are extremely easy to change being as they are right on top with nothing in the way is icing on the cake! :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I agree w/ Brian. I would get the Tahoe

But I have a CJ, that is not for sale.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've had 3 GC's and one Tahoe. They're both good vehicles. But, for me, the Tahoe was just too big. I've got an '04 GC Limited HO V8 now and really like it. As for the '05, it'll be all new and I sure wouldn't want one for just that reason. (Detroit has never been able to get a new design off the drawing board and onto the road without multiple problems.) Look at all the trouble GM is STILL having with the Trailblazers!

Reply to
j carter
*snip*
*snip*
Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
twaldron

I'd probably wait until the second year - and in the case of Chrysler, keep my fingers crossed. Although the '84 Vette is a good example of my "rationale". And I have two friends with Trailblazers who are not happy campers either.

Reply to
j carter

Reply to
twaldron

I have a 00' Tahoe 4x4 with a 6" lift and running 35's.. I love it!!! I looked at the JGC's and went with the Tahoe due to the size and towing. I am pulling a 80 CJ-5 SOA running 33's all over the place, especially up to the local mud hole in Azusa Canyon with no problems. I have also done some mild off roading in it and had no problems .

I say go with the Tahoe!

Shamus

80 CJ-5 SOA 33' super swappers 15" x 10" beadlocks +++
Reply to
Shamus O Hire

I have a 02 tahoe, a 01 expedition and I occasionally drive my father in laws 95 zj. The tahoe and expedition blow the jeep out of the water for comfort and strength. the jeep however is more fun and easier to park etc. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Nagging issues with my gf's '99 Grand Cherokee: Replaced Transfer Case, rotors shake on hard braking, lights in the door switches stopped working, When you put the Jeep into Drive the doors lock (even though Auto-lock is turned off), and the Part-time light doesn't come on.

Kick the tires issues with my cousins 2002 Tahoe: replaced the transmission twice. So she got rid of it and got a 2003 Suburban: 3 batteries and 1 alternator later, it's still not charging.

Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
attnews

I'm the kiss of death

Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
twaldron

In the end, I decided to go with an '02 JGC Limited with the 4.7. It was a matter of whether I truly needed the additional space offered in a Tahoe. I didn't feel like it was worth the additional cost. Overall, I think the Grand Cherokee offers more bang for your buck, but that all depends what it'll be used for.

I will say, after driving a lot of Tahoe's and now driving a Grand Cherokee again, the Grand Cherokee ride is much stiffer and the cabin is louder. Other than that, the Grand Cherokee's interior is much nicer and more refined than the Tahoe. Chevy really needs to update that interior.

So far, I'm loving it ... we'll see how soon she ends up in the shop!

- Aaron

Reply to
Shiltsy

Go to consumer reports on the off road capability for SUVs the Tahoe was rated one of the worst.

Reply to
HarryS