The best laid plans

Got in the Jeep at work Friday, and the steering wheel would go about a quarter turn to the left and a bit farther to the right and the power
steering is making the dreaded sucking sound. Checked the bottle of fluid I keep on hand, it was empty. Stopped off at NAPA on the way home for more fluid, topped it up, when I got home I bled it, seemed to be OK, but I'd had enough of it dripping all over everything and having to be topped up every time I got gas. So the plan was to go get the parts and overhaul the damned steering--nice weekend project.
A block away from Advance the "check gages" light comes on and steering gets very hard. Looked ag gages, tempeature is way high. Stopped, popped the hood, there's cooland blasting out around the radiator cap and no belt in sight. Also no pulley on the power steering.
Ordinarily under that circumstance I'd have it towed home, but my bike's on the fritz as well at the moment, so nothing for it but to tow it down to Firestone and let them have at it (why Firestone? Because they're right next door to Enterprise, which simplifies the "arrange alternate transportation" issue). They want to replace the whole system--that's what I was going to do anyway, so no biggie excpet that it costs three times as much to have them do it.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

In the words of my favorite tow truck, "Aw, dang!".
Hope you get it back on the road soon.
Budd
On 5/1/2016 11:01 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Is this a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8? 4WD? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_%28ZJ%29
Sounds like a great vehicle if you can afford the maintenance and the gas.
My brother and I replaced his power steering rack in his 1982 Nissan 280ZX turbo once. I'll never do that again. We were both underneath the car when the engine suddenly dropped eight inches. Turned out we removed the motor mounts without realizing it.
Lynn

It was, but now it's starting to nickel and dime me to death. If you're ever tempted to get one, do NOT get one with a sunroof. Frigging thing leaked the day I took it home and didn't stop until I went over it with roofing sealer and pulled the fuse and turned it into a window.

Not an issue on the ZJ.