the malfunction indicator light

I have a 2001 TJ, and with mileage around 22,000. Every time I purchased gas from Mobil, and Exxon, the "malfunction indicator light" was always on, however, after I pumped gas from other gas companies and drove for a quarter of the tank, the light went off.

Since my car is in pretty good condition, and this only happened when I bought gas from Mobil and Exxon, I think it's okay, however, I still get a little worried, and sometime I don't have other choices to pump gas ...

I wonder anyone here has same or similar experience? or I do have to perform an engine check.

Thanks.

Szu-ting

Reply to
Szu-ting Yi

Which pump do you use? The Mobil and Exxon might simply be lower octane than the other brands. Next time you have to buy Mobil or Exxon, try their more expensive blend.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'd guess it's not the gas but a faulty O2 sensor. Since it's presumably still under warranty, take it in and have them check it out.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

It wouldn't hurt to pull any stored codes if there are any... I notice that I get more light pinging with some brands of unleaded regular than others...worse it tends to also vary with the gas station of the same brand. Always goes away if I just step up a grade at the first available fill opportunity, you may want to try that. If you are only 1/4 down or less, go for the gold stuff and try. Dealer swears light pinging is normal, but having put a hole in a coupla pistons on other motors, the sound sorta gives me the willies.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Kinda like telling the doctor "when I lift my arm up like this, it hurts"........then the doctor says "don't lift your arm up like that"

Guess I would say - don't need no stinkin' Mobile or Exxon............

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

the exact thing happened this weekend for me. We always buy from Speedway (superamerica) and for some reason my wife bought some from Gomart and the

Reply to
Kenny