Threaded studs on TJ oil pan screws

About half of the oil pan screws on my TJ are plain cap screws, and half have a threaded stud projecting. None of the studs do anything that I can see.

What are these studs for?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Alignment would be my guess. It is a pain to get a pan and gasket started square so studs sound better than tying the gasket in place with thread.

Mike

Mike Romain

This has nothing to do with gasket alignment. The studs are outside the pan, on the screw heads.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Then I would guess that the last person that took the engine apart lost the pan bolts and just made do with what he found lying around on the floor or bench. This usually means those 'studs' have to go back into the 'same' holes unless he got really lucky and the threads were the same. Most times I see that, the threads have been chewed out to only fit the replacement bolt. This is bad for oil leaks and future gasket replacements usually too.

Mike

Mike Romain

I expect these are original.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Ouch....

Was it the end of a production year or something where they ran out of the proper bolts? I got 'lucky' that way on my CJ7. They ran out of stock AMC rear ends so they put a Dana 44 in...

The only time I normally see the studs on top of the nut like that is when a bracket or wire needs to be bolted on after the part is assembled or as I mentioned, someone screwed up and lost parts.

Is there any pattern to them or are they just random? Maybe they are to position the engine in an assembly jig or something? Are they pointy ends, slot ends, hex ends or just flat?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

Woo hoo.. a correct answer. :)

the bottom you see the O2 sensor connector.That's pushed on one of those studs that hang down fromthe oil pan. Rather than make many different setupsfor each production vehicle they simply put studs wherethey would be needed no matter what vehicle the enginewill be installed in.

Reply to
DougW

OK, I'll buy that.

Consequently it doesn't matter if they go back in the same pattern.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No but what does matter is that they get the proper torque.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

As long as they support what ever you need hanging off them. I'd dry-fit everything first just to make sure.

And step the torque so the gasket and flange don't get squooshed out.

Reply to
DougW