99 Jeep Cherokee volts problem

when I turn on Defroster on volts drop and belt makes noise dont know if it is the Alternator or AC or the also does it at start up

Reply to
fxkozz

There is only one belt. What kind of shape is it in?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
fxkozz

That means the belt is loose or shined up.

It takes several horsepower to spin up an alternator under load and both things you mention are just that.

The belt can be tight enough and just be polished up so it doesn't grab anymore. That happens to me when I take my Jeep out to play in the mud puddles. Mud is liquid sandpaper...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
fxkozz

Belt is loose or shined up....

They go loose when new especially....

Take the cold off engine and try to see if you can grab and spin the alternator pulley by hand. If you can, see above...

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

  1. Voltage drop is likely due to compressor clutch engagement. This is normal. If the voltage drop is excessive, the charging system and/or battery should be inspected for proper operation.
  2. When the weather is cold and damp, even tightened belts can slip if not tensioned properly. This slippage will often cause a squealing noise, usually until it spins enough to dry out. Recheck the tension. Cheap belts often make noise regardless of tension: install an OEM belt if in doubt. (Goodyear Gaterback belts have always worked very well for me as well.)
Reply to
Outatime

I'll second the Gatorback reccomendation. It's $34 if you go through partsamerica.com and pick it up at your local Checker/Schucks/Kragen store. Pull the belt and check the pulleys, make sure the tensioner is tight.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

You might also want to get a check done of the charging system. Most auto parts stores offer then for free.

The only requirement is a fully charged battery..

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III