Thule 'J' rack for my '98 Grand Cherokee.

Howdy everyone,

I am just about to finish a 16ft wooden kayak that I have been working on for awhile. I would like an easy way to Jeep top it on my wifes '98 ZJ. It has the factory roof rack and no sun roof. Thule has those 'J' carriers for $129, and it says it fits 'most factory racks'. Has anyone purchased those and put them on a factory ZJ rack? I am a bit leary of the 'fits most factory racks' and am afraid that A) I'll spend the cash and it won't fit or B) It will fit but I have to buy an additional $129 in stuff to make it fit.

Let me know!

Thanks!

Jimbo snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Jim Whall

If you go to REI or any sports rack dealer, they will be able to test fit the rack. If you are considering mail order, you certainly run the risk of having to ship it back at your cost.

OTH, why don't you just contact Thule and ask them?

I don't know how secure the ZJ factory rails are, but I would NEVER risk my expensive toys to this arrangement. Especially one I built myself. Get a Yakima 1A gutter mount rack system. Extremely robust, quick to remove when not in use, and no risk of ripping the factory rack off your roof. IMHO it's the ultimate cargo rack system.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I wouldn't want 300lb that high up on the roof.

I think I would find a local Blacksmith to fabricate something heavy> duty for you, something that mounts to your bumper that may help you> load it.

Reply to
Dave Milne

LOL. Thanks, Bill. That is the link I was looking for. I think I will try to find someone here who sells them and see if I can get a test fit. And despite my new found love of epoxy, the boat hasn't cracked

50lbs yet. ;-)