Drivers Seat Comparison XJ - TJ

I'm currently in the porcess of selling my TJ and trying to find me a XJ for a daily driver. I've read some reviews about the XJ's not being all that comfortable in the drivers seat. No place for your left foot and stuff like that.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me before I go and test drive one whether I will be happy in the long run with the room. I'm just fine in my 02 TJ so if they have similar seating I should be ok. As a size reference I"m almost 6ft3in tall and weigh in at about 280. Not a little guy.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Ley

Older XJs weren't too bad, but it seems they stole a little of the driver's leg room for the rear seat passenger in the later years. With your size, I'd bet you won't be happy with it. At 6'3", 230, it's not enough room for my liking.

02 TJ has much more leg (and gut) room. :-)

Reply to
bllsht

Be prepared to have your head against the ceiling.

I've gotten in a couple of my friends' XJs: My head is not just against the ceiling; I have to c*ck it to the side to fit, and then I still have to slouch quite a bit. BTW, I'm 6'5".

It seems the XJs simply weren't built for tall people.

Reply to
Bob

In my experience the lack of a footrest isn't a problem. I put my foot either to the left of the brake or on the flat part of the floor.

Comfort of the XJ is, in my opinion, acceptable. The seats are not great like the Ford Exploder, not terrible like the Dodge Neon. All the extra space as opposed to a car makes up the lack of plushness in the seat. I can usually drive it for 2.5 hours at a stretch without resting, whereas in a car I'd need to stop every 1 to 1.5 hours. I also like the ride quality as at high speeds you don't feel every little crack in the concrete like a YJ, but it doesn't doesn't feel like a boat like minivans and coach buses do.

Although saying anything nice about the KJ is heretical here, I know several big and tall people who've really liked the way it fit them. You might look at one if you can afford a newer vehicle and don't need the space or off-road capability of the XJ.

Reply to
Monte Castleman