96 V8 4x4 JGC Drivetrain Noise/Leak

Hello,

I have what I think are two unrelated problems with my Jeep and hoping that someone here might be able to help.

The first problem is a noisy front end that seems to have been getting louder over the last few months. It seems to be coming from the front differential area but I am not entirely sure. I have recently noticed that it gets louder if I turn to the right (going around a bend) and the tone/frequency seems to change. Turning to the left doesn't seem to cause the noise to get too much louder. I have checked the fluid level in the front diff, transfer case fluid, and tranny fluid...none of them are low on fluid. I am guessing this noise is coming from the front wheeling bearings? Is there any way/test I can confirm this?

The other problem is a tranny leak that has just started to get worse. I noticed that if the Jeep is parked on an incline (front higher than the back) it leaks more. I tried looking for the source but can't really pin point where it's coming from. Are there any common sources of leaks in JGC's?

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

-Mike

Reply to
hmobrien

Jack up the front wheels, so they turn freely, and test for excessive play. If the bearing is bad, usually excessive play goes along with it. Also leaking at the grease seal, but that would be hard to see, with the U-joint and knuckle in the way.

Transmission output seal, leaking into the transfer case? Check transfer case level, see if it is way too high.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for the reply. I just finished jacking up the front tires are there is no side-to-side whobble or excessive play when I spin the tires. Does this pretty much rule out wheel bearings?

Thanks,

-Mike

Earle Hort> Jack up the front wheels, so they turn freely, and test for excessive play.

Reply to
hmobrien

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes, and then you are looking for up and down play. Sometimes you can also hear or feel a rough bearing, when turning the tire by hand.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I didn't kick the tires to free up the calipers last night while I had it up on jacks but I did try to pull on the tires pretty hard from the

12 and 6 o'clock positions. I'll jack it back up tonight after work and give it another look. Also, while spinning the tires I didn't feel or hear an roughness.

It's hard to describe the noise but let me give it another shot. It sounds like a growling/grinding type of noise that changes in tone and volume depending on how fast the car is going. When going around a curve in the road at 30+ mph I hear the grinding then a dull "thump" for each revolution. Also, when taking off for work in the morning the sound doesn't seem to appear until I've driven a couple miles.

Anyway, after scanning the newsgroups and reading about the dangers of wheel bearing failures I decided to leave the Jeep at home until I figure out where the noise is coming from.

-Mike

Earle Hort> Yes, and then you are looking for up and down play. Sometimes you can also

Reply to
hmobrien

It turned out to be the wheel bearings. I had it fixed yesterday and everything is fine now. :)

-Mike snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
hmobrien