Tilt steering repair

Don't forget the washer!

Mike

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The Merg

I have seen washers collapse trying to do what you are so getting a couple or a really thick one might be in order.

I would also recommend you spray the pins with penetrating oil tonight even.

Mike

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Great idea Mike - I never pass up an opportunity to use excessive amounts of WD-40.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow - and I'll take a picture of my jerry-rigged tool.

Mike Roma> I have seen washers collapse trying to do what you are so getting a

Reply to
The Merg

It might work better if you used penetrating oil rather than WD-40. PBblaster if you can find it locally.

The Merg proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
The Merg

Yes, PBblaster and liquid Wrench will be there. Breakfree CLP is great stuff too, but the auto parts stores usually don't have it. It is a good thing to have one of the above on hand at all times.

Regards,

DAve

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
DaveW

Got the PB blaster - worked great. I finally got everything off after much consternation and a few expletives. For the life of me I couldn't get the main bit out - I ended up removing a lot of unnecessary stuff and pulling the steering column out

- only to discover that all I had to do was reattach the lever for the tilt wheel and disengage it. What a pain in the a$$. I forgot to get locktite, so I'll reassemble everything tomorrow and I'll post the pictures later tonight.

Thanks for all the help - I never would have been able to do this without you guys.

L> It might work better if you used penetrating oil rather than WD-40.

Reply to
The Merg

Can't tell you the number of times PB Blaster has saved my butt. First time I heard of it, it was "oh, yea.. that will work.. riiiight." Now it's the first thing I use on any bolt or rusty thing (like hinges).

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
The Merg

Got pictures up of my rigged up pivot point puller (8 32 bolt with two nuts and washers increasing in size until they could hold the socket) and also of the disassembled steering column with a view of the loose culprit bolts. When I finally got to them, I discovered that they had backed out completely - none of them had held any thread at all.

Good stuff

Merg

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
The Merg

I'm almost done, but I can't figure out how the high beam pusher rod attaches to the lever. Everything else seems to work correctly.

Reply to
The Merg

By which I mean, does anyone know how the pusher rod is supposed to attach to the multi function lever?

Reply to
The Merg

Wish I could help but it took me forever to get that !@#$%^& thing in right and I forget what the last trick was. Seems to me you had to hold everything in place while sliding in just right.

Reply to