tire pressure

I've got 225 Goodyear tires on my 04 X Wrangler. The label on the door jamb says to put 33 psi in 215 tires and on the side of the 225's it says maximum tire pressure is 44 psi. What's a safe psi to use?

Thanks. Rick

Reply to
Rick Dowling

Rick Dowling did pass the time by typing:

33
Reply to
DougW

My understanding ... the manufacturer's recommended 33 psi was arrived at to provide optimum handling, ride, on the road for your vehicle with normal load ... 215s or 225s. Nothing to do with safe ... as in ... if yer crawling across a beach with a boat in tow :-) on the sand, 10-12 psi might be considered safe ... but as you might imagine, 10-12 psi would not be safe at highway speed ... my 2 cents.

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The 44 psi molded onto the sidewall is only the MAXIMUM allowable air pressure when the tire is loaded to its maxium weight. The 33psi on the door jamb is the recommended weight for when the Jeep is fully loaded to its GCWR weight which means 4 passengers, full fuel, maximum load that is expected. For normal street driving, your Jeep is seldom fully loaded so the optimal tire pressure will be under the 33 psi figure found on the door jamb. I'd probably run 29 or 30 psi if it was just me and maybe a passenger.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Use the number on the door, and subtract 3~5 pounds. I can't imagine why you would need more than about 30 pounds in the tires.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

A 225 Goodyear????

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I run a 225/55 Michelin on the BMW, and I wouldn't call it "low profile" by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, it is time for a reality check here.

Isn't this a newsgroup for Jeeps? Isn't the discussion on tire pressures for

225 series tires that are commonly fitted on Jeeps? TJs to be specific.

To the Original Poster,

30 pounds is at the top end of the scale for air pressure in those tires. I find that many guys like them at pretty much any pressure above 25psi.

If you get to an offroading situation, you can drop the pressure to about 15 pounds if you want, but if you do, then you must be aware of the obvious speed limitations. Actually, you can go pretty much as fast as you want, you just won't be able to steer with any degree of precision, and if you go too fast and try to turn, you can roll the tire off of the rim. Of course, there will be heat problems as well, so you want to keep the speeds down to about

25 or less. The point of lowering the air pressure is to make a more comfortable ride, and to increase traction by making a larger footprint of the tire. Also, the tire will fold over and around stuff and grip better, instead of riding on top of it.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)