tire wear

Have a strange tire wear problem on the wifey's 93 ZJ, the inner edges (almost inner 1/3rd) or the front tires are worn almost bare, This suggests a problem with the camber angle, in reading about this I have found that the camber on the ZJ is non-adjustable, any ideas what too look for prior to taking it into the alignment shop?

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Excessive toe out will cause that same wear too, and feathering, across the tread.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If the toe is too far off the tires will eat like that....

You can adjust the toe at home with a tape measure.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ok so having the pax wheel (viewed from front) pointing out while the drivers wheel is straight will also cause this... well that's not too bad then... this is the reason I'm taking it in for an alignment.. toe out on the pax side...

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

There you go....

Mine is also doing that and Steve from this group is coming over today to help with an alignment, rotate the tires and new wheel bearings on the one side that I think it needs. My one wheel is tilting out top and side and flopping a bit... Not bad, 6 years on this set turning 33's...

It would figure, for once I get the locking hubs holding on nice and tight with no issues and I need to rip them apart to repack the wheel bearings. Time to get the CJ7 all tightened back up. Might be heading to the east coast this year for a visit so need to be ready for 3000 miles or so.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, when one wheel or the other is out of toe, you actually get some wear on both tires because the toe is divided between the two in order for the vehicle to go straight down the road. Once a tire wear pattern from it is set though, you don't get that rubber back, so the tires will continue to wear funny, and may get noisy, or start to pull, if the wear is bad enough. If the back tires are in better shape, I'd have all four balanced and then rotated. Tire wear changes the balance of the tire, an out of balance tire increases wear on the tire, and wear on related suspension components, and eventually, you "back side" once the out of balance condition starts to vibrate. Good luck man,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If you'd be so kind to provide the info on how to do this I'd appreciate it, pics would be great too, but a write will do. If its something I can do in a couple hours on a Saturday (about the only day the zj is in the drive) I'll give it a shot...

Snow... email is valid so can just send directly.. :)

Reply to
Snow

Going anywhere near New Jersey Mike? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Once your tires begin to wear 'funny' they will never wear correctly.

Rotate them to the rear and accept that you will have to get them rebalanced repeatedly throughout their remaining life.

Reply to
billy ray

...that's what I said.

later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I will be running across Canada from Toronto to Halifax, about 1001 miles each way door to door...

Mike

Tomes wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Enjoy it then. If you are ever around NJ, let me know... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Did the link twardron provide cover it ok?

My alignment has to wait a bit, found a smoked out spindle so just had to go pick up a used one. Not bad $20.00 and it came with a new axle bearing in it.

Also found 'another' dead freaking U-joint on my rear axle. Grr enough of those 'lifetime' pieces of junk. I will stick to the cheap greasable ones.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain