TJ - No Electricity

I have some sort of electrical and/or starting problem with my 2000 TJ, Auto, 4.0, 70,000 miles. I started it this morning (after sitting 3 weeks), no problem. Drove it 5 miles, parked for an hour, started it and drove 5 miles back home - no problems. It sat a couple hours, then I tried to start it again & my problems stated.

I turned the ignition key, heard one click from under the hood, then silence. I turned the key again and absolutely nothing. I have no electricity to the car at all. No radio, headlights, dome light, emergency flashers - nothing. The only power in the entire car is via an auxiliary DC outlet that's direct wired to the battery (for RV towing).

When I wait 30 minutes and try again, I sometimes get one click from under the hood - followed by no current throughout.

The battery is 6 months old, wires are tight, and it registers 12.5 volts. I see no loose wires around the starter solenoid. I looked at the fuses under the hood. The one labeled Starter seems fine (I checked it with an ohm meter).

Any suggestions on where to start? I'm thinking I have a starter problem (the first click) and a fuse problem (very uneducated guesses). Replacing the starter doesn't look too difficult, but I don't want to just start replacing parts with little confidence of the real problem(s).

Thanks,

Cliff

Reply to
CD

No power means one of the main battery cables has a dirty end. Don't forget the cables have 2 ends.

Mike

Mike Romain

Turn on the headlights and then hit the starter. If your headlights go out the battery is discharged and/or the cable ends need a serious cleaning.

Go ahead and clean the cable ends (both ends) because if the charging system needs attention (next step) then you will again be advised to clean them.

Oh..... and before Mike jumps in.... check and clean the main grounds..... (battery, block, head) they have a nasty habit of rotting from the inside....

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Mike, Billy Ray, & Bill - thanks for pointing out the obvious. As usual, I was making the situation more complicated than necessary. I narrowed it down to the negative cable with the multi tester; then pulled off the battery end of that cable. The cable was loose where it goes into the connector. I took it apart, stripped off a little, refastened the cable to the connector (more firmly), and all is now OK.

Cliff

Reply to
CD

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ did pass the time by typing:

I liked the old lead style. If it breaks, just melt the bugger down and re-cast. :) Interesting to note, the alloy they make wheel weights out of does a damn good job. Which reminds me, my ground clamp needs to be recast. Buggered it up working on the engine. :/

Bill probably has a picture of the molds. ;)

None of the screw style ones work very well. Not even the gold plated Phoenix Gold stuff used for audio competition.. Unless you pot the wires in there. Yep, you guessed it. I fill the void with lead solder.

For crimp style there are some good kits you can fit using a vice. But if your engine is stock it's better to go OEM or a high quality aftermarket. The cheap shit doesn't cut it for long.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm due to remove and clean my cable terminals. It's getting a bit sluggish in cranking. Of course my battery is on it's 4th or 5th year.

I keep a jumpstart box locked in the Jeep for an emergency. It's always connected to an extra power outlet I installed next to the tailgate.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Is that real wood or that genuine artificial simulated stuff?

Do you have the roll of paper towels and window cleaner? How about one of the smaller, softer rolls for the backwoods excursions?

We take winches and straps, but how about the real important items?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

The naked girls were at home, screwing the anti-war guys and the wannabes with long hair. Sorry you missed out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to