TJ re-gear

What's the consciences for best gear choice for my TJ (see details in signature). I live in the mountainous state of WV and will be highway driving only (CJ for trail). I am thinking 4.10 or 4.56 and want to hear from someone with first hand experience.

Thanks

Reply to
JimG

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

For 33" tires on a 5-speed TJ, 4.56 would be my choice. I used to run 33" tires and re-geared to 4.10 5-6 years ago against the advice of my more experienced friends who all said to go to 4.56. I regretted that 4.10 decision within a few weeks, I was always downshifting for even minor grades. While 4.10 returns rpms back to what they were with smaller tires, you actually need slightly higher rpms to truly compensate for the bigger tire's increased weight, increased rolling resistance, greater resistance your engine is working into due to the bigger tire's increased radius (more leverage against the engine), and the fact that the Jeep is sitting higher in the windstream for more wind resistance from the taller tire's larger radius.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks Jerry... spoken from one who has bee there!

Reply to
JimG

Jim, go with 4.56. I run 35" on my 01 TJ and went with 4.88 and am very happy.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Which is what I am happily running after that 33"/4.10 combination I hated so badly.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Hi Bill,

The only thing that surprises me about your comment is you didn't say anything about the D35! :-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Thanks Andy!

Reply to
JimG

Yea, and to think I almost went to 4:56. Good thing I listened up and got good advise from here. You were one that really helped Jerry!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Which is pure confirmation that most of your posts have become nothing more than pointless trolls... which is why I stopped arguing with you and bothering to respond to your posts in the last year or so.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Since you have the D44 rear end, another option is the "forgotten" ratio,

4.27's This is what I run with 33" BFG AT and 33" Swampers and I love it.

Reply to
bob ackley

D44 is on the CJ... I am doing the TJ. (I wish my TJ had the D44!)

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

After reading all the post...I'm thinking going to the 4.88's would be the best choice.

Daren

Reply to
DMcMorris

Highway driving only? MAYBE 4.10.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Nah, I have 4.10 on my TJ with 33's. I tend to use cruise on my commute to work and I'm saddened by how often the accelerator hits the floor on slight grades.

4.56 all the way. n.
Reply to
Nathan Otis