Replace stock track bar on 2004 TJ with adjustable?

I want to replace the stock front track bar on my 2004 TJ with a Skyjacker Adjustable (SKU #RE34X34R) bar. I've called two suppliers and got two different answers - can I bolt this adjustable bar onto a stock, unlifted TJ? And will it be an improvement over the stock bar?

If not this track bar, any recommendations? I don't intend to lift this vehicle anytime soon, but I do want better stability and longevity than the stock bar has given.

And what about the rear track bar? A good replacement for that, or do they just not seem to have the issues the front bar does?

Reply to
justanartist

I highly recommend that you stay with the stock trac bar...The stock trac bars will last as long or longer than any aftermarket one...especially if you are staying stock...

Since I replaced my trac bar almost 2 yrs ago I've had nothing but problems...First I went w/ the Skyjacker one you are looking at and the lower bushing woudn't last a week or two and in btween getting a new bushing in I would have a wick'd death wobble...I think I went through 4 bushings and death wobbles constantly to the point where the bracket holding the trac bar to the axle broke loose and almost killed me...I then replaced it with a RockKrawler one and I have blown the lower bushing out once but atleast it lasted six months before it went... I've even contemplated going back to a stock trac bar...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff (4X4PLAY)

Jeff - Good to know. Appreciate the post. I drive this Wrangler everyday - I got 30,000 miles out of the stock track bar with no issues, then a moderate wobble for the last 20,000 miles. Not a death wobble, just not steady enough. I find myself avoiding manhole cover divots and the like. I may have to rethink this and go stock.

--doug

Jeff (4X4PLAY) wrote:

Reply to
justanartist

Right on Doug...I also replaced the one in my '95 ZJ with a Rockkrawler one and have replaced the lower bushing already once in a year... I think stock is ur best option...

Reply to
Jeff (4X4PLAY)