Black Diamond 3" lift questions

Hi. I just purchased the Black Diamond 3" lift from Quadratec for my '04 Rubi. Couple questions as I am new to this; the kit does not come with a drop pitman arm or new/different/longer steering stabilizer. I noticed they do sell these things, but the sales guy didn't try to upsell me on them or anything. So, do I want/need to get these as well? Second question; the kit instructs you on 'making' your own quick disconnects by removing your sway bar end links, sawing off one end of each end link, then drilling a hole and putting the 'quick disco' piece with the pin on the end. Should I just buy a set of JKS disconnects, leave the stock end links on as-is, or 'make' the quick discos? Thanks in advance for your help guys (and girls). Much appreciated.

Jay

Reply to
JVC

Hi Jay,

A drop Pitman arm is generally not helpful on lifts under 4". Your stock steering stabilizer should be fine. I've got the jks adjustable 'quicker' (2nd generation) disconnects and i recommend them. They're well built, greaseable, quiet, and easy to operate.

Try the conversion included in your kit. I presume it makes your links longer to accommodate the lift. If you find the clunking of the pin design to be bothersome, just chuck your links and get the JKS Quickers.

Steve

JVC wrote:

Reply to
Steve

A Black Diamond lift on a Rubicon?

I woudl have gone with a FabTech or Skyjacker lift.

Reply to
Hey There

Well, I would have gone with a Rubicon Express (hey, that's what I did get) but who cares. To answer the poster's question, the drop pitman arm isn't necessary on a TJ with more than 5 or 6" of lift or so. As long as the front track bar and drag link are parallel you won't be plagued with bumpsteer.

As for the swaybar disco's, I think the instructions are telling you to leave the links on the axle when they are disconnected. I don't like that idea. Get some quality disco's, and this time I won't recommend the RE ones...I have Tomkens, but the JKS are nice too.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Oh to answer the steering stabilizer question, I used my stock stabilizer for about a year and a half after I installed the lift, no problems. But I went ahead and replaced it anyway, just to avoid problems down the road.

4.5" RE Superflex lift
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo