Hinge pin removal

Hello Ramva,

I'm planning on changing my right door hinge pin with the one with threads on it, to install a right side mirror. I've tried to smack it out with a hammer and (a too small)driver, but it won't come out.

A google search gave me some pointers, like using an airhammer or a special device from Eastwood. I've also tried a pulley-puller(?english?) but there was no room for that. An other suggestion was to drill a hole in the top, cut some thread in it and then bolting a slideable weight on top. Slide the weight up with force and take out the pin.

So my question is; how do i take it out?? Should i use a bigger hammer or is that a big NO NO??

And once out, how will i get the new one (with threads) in??

Any help is appreciated!!

Greetings from holland, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Air hammer. There's no substitute. New one goes in much easier, use the same airhammer.

Otherwise you will have to unbolt the hinges and put the door on a bench with the hinge upside down in some kind of anvil thingy that has a hole for the pin to go through. Or something.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I faced the same dilemma with a 1971. I bought the Eastwood hinge pin tool, and it does not work on VW door hinges. The concept is right, but the shape of the tool does not fit the VW hinges well (at least with the door on the car. With the door removed, it maybe a different story.)

If some one out there has bought the Eastwood tool and managed to get it to work with the door on the car, I would love to hear how it's done.

Also - someone from time to time has posted a blueprint of the VW factory tool for the hinge pine tool. IT's time to see it again!

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Here ya go:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh yea the measurements are in millimeters.

For your conversion needs....

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks, Jan. That's the blueprint that I saw (here) a while ago.

Is there anyone out there that can re-produce a run of these tools for use on cars with the doors on the car? I would say there's a market based on what I have read here over the years. I would definitely be interested in one.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Call me ignorand... but i've googled for an airhammer and came with a lot of pics that were suposed to be airhammers (bicycletyre pump:-)). But also a pic of a tool used to undo/tighten the wheel nuts, but with a chissel in it. Can i use a pneumatic drill instead? The one that you use to drill holes in hard concrete??

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

the air hammer doesn't spin the bit, just rattles it like a miniature jack hammer. Use a pin bit instead of the chisel to run the hinge pin out, and in. Even if you loaded a hammer drill with some kind of non-cutting pin bit, I don't think it would have enough 'hammer' to move the hinge pin.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

Roger,

Last summer I had to remove the hinge pins on a '62 T-1. After trying a large punch and hammer (after heating the hinge to red heat) and not being able to move the pin, I ended up using an air hammer with a special punch that I made to give it a 10 degree offset (I can email a photo if you like). Even with this heavy-duty tool, it took several heats to get things hot enough to remove the pin. Obviously this would not be good for your car's paint!

Hope this helps.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Hey thanks guy's

I will try to get my hands on an airhammer and hope this will do the trick. Heating is out of the question because of the paint...

Al, if you want to sent me those pics that would be great (you know what to leave out the adress??) laat.vanvugt*leave_the_spam*@planet.nl

Again guy's, thanks for the input and 'till next time :-)

Roger

"Al Adams" schreef in bericht news:R3NId.617$ snipped-for-privacy@monger.newsread.com...

Reply to
bug '59

That's the tool. Comes with different shaped removable chisel heads. One of them is a tapered punch. That's the one to use.

Do NOT hold the head while squeezing the trigger, with intentions to try and see how strong it is. Do not.

NO! Do not try it.

What did I just tell you? I saw you looking at that thing and your hand twitch!

HELL boy! Didn't I tell you not to do that? Now go get your hand bandaged and quit crying, you brought it on yourself do take it like a man. That'll turn blue and black but it will heal. Next time you'll know better.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

When you buy a mirror, do NOT buy a RHD one! You won't be able to see a thing out of it from the left hand side of the car. You need to buy a right-hand-side mirror made for a LHD car.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Hhhmmmmmmm.... auw, auw... you dó know me....??

Yep i intent to watch with both hands....... i bet you did too!!!

LOL Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Hi Howard,

If you refer to the extended ones, yes i bought that one. I was told earlier that i need the long version instead the shorter ones. However i did not know that the difference was LHD and RHD. Thanks for the info!

Roger

"Howard Rose" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
bug '59

Guilty :D

Damn it hurt.

Jan

bug '59 wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thats funny.... I just got my new eastwood catalogue and it shows the hinge pin remover on what appears to be the upper passenger hinge on a red bug.... you can just make out the hood and chrome trim ... looks like they have it angled toward the from of the car... but that pic is probably just for show.

hmmm but then again I thought the pin gets driven out from the bottom and then you drive the new pin into the top.

Reply to
dragenwagen

The extended one is correct. My friend found out this problem on his '65! He bought a '66 drivers mirror (on the right hand side) and also a driver's mirror from a LHD car. Unfortunately when he fitted it, the passenger mirror was completely hidden behing the A-pillar! That's why you need an extended one.

LHD/RHD mirrors are exact mirror images of each other, just pointing in different directions.