To buy or not to buy a 96 JGC- need help

Howdy all, Im in the market for a used JGC. I found a good deal for a 96 loaded Laredo here in Montreal. I have a few questions regarding this possible purchase:

1- am I getting a money pit? Are these vehicle known for breaking down and costing a fortune to fix? 2- is there anything I should look for while inspecting the vehicle? It comes with a 1 year waranty. 3- should I expect any specific issues? ie- transmission dying after a certain mileage?

Any pros/cons of getting a Jeep as compared to other SUVs?

tia

ryder

Reply to
drryder

drryder did pass the time by typing:

96 had quite a few improvements over the 93-95 year.

the I-6 is a strong engine, as is the V8. You didn't mention what engine or transfer case your looking at.

I'd pay close attention to the body and look for any rust.

Reply to
DougW

I've had a 96 JGC Laredo 4.0L inline 6, 4x4 since new and didn't start forking up repair cash for it till 2000. First to give in was the catalytic converter, then water pump, then alternator, then the exhaust manifold and just recently, the muffler. I also replaced the shocks and disc rotors in

2002 just for safety. Transmission has not been a problem. I would look under the truck to see if there are any leaks. As long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule ,i.e., oil change, tranny fluid, diff fluids, power steering fluid, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and the like, the truck will serve you well. I love this truck and hopefully it runs another 100k miles. She's got about 160K on her right now. HTH. Fernan
Reply to
F.D.S.