Tow strap reminder

Tribune

Last update: May 25, 2008 - 1:44 PM

A Virginia, Minn. man died Saturday afternoon after he tried to pull a vehicle out of a mud pit.

The man, 32, was using a tow rope to remove a stuck off-road vehicle from the mud when the metal piece that secured the rope to one of the vehicles broke and struck him in the head, according to the St. Louis County sheriff's office.

He died at the scene. His identity had not been released Sunday morning.

The accident occurred in the 7800 block of Hill Road in Sandy Township about 2 p.m.

Reply to
RoyJ

You just have to wonder why they even allow deathstraps to be sold.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, note that the post referenced a rope - we tend to forget that it's not just a snatch strap problem but anything with any amount of stretch. I've seen chains and cables (especially cables) let go with amazing damage as well as fiber straps or ropes. For that matter, I watched one idiot tie a proper strap around a bumper and darned near get beaned when the whole bumper let go.

Most times, people get hurt because of the fool using the tool.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
RoyJ

You really can't expect a news writer to properly explain what what used. It could have been anything.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Odd are it was one of those made-in-china recovery straps/ropes with the cast metal hooks.

In all fairness I probably would have used one of those myself if not for what I read in an offroad magazine.

Speaking of, this article covers the issue quite nicely.

DougW

Harbor Freight sells a slug of those things - cheap. I've bought a couple but the first thing I do is cut the hooks off. With most, that leaves a usable sewn loop and the strap itself is actually pretty good.

Like I wrote, the fool using the tool is the most dangerous part of the operation.

Reply to
Will Honea

I use a strap with two sewn loops and D-rings. I don't undertand why the article admonishes against looping over the axle, sometimes it the only thing strong enough to hook to.

About 1968 old we were on our annual Easter campout to Estero Beach, Mexico. A whale had washed ashore and a lot of people were trying to push it back in the water. It was obvious that wasn't going to happen, so they decided to pull it out and eat it. Dad thought he would help and backed his 63 International Travelall up and then hooked his 7/16 logging chain around the beasts tail. He started to pull with me in the back watching the fun, and the whale didn't like that much. He flipped his tail and the chain parted. The chain fortunately went up and over, leaving an impressive set of dents from the back window to the front bumper, and not busting any glass. The mxican cops then shot the whale a few dozen times and really pissed it off. Later that day they got a dozer to pull it out of the tideline and butchered it. Quite an education for a boy.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

In older vehicles, yes. Do that with one of the newer ZJ or WJ back axles and you'll bend it. Those darn things are so weak you can't even jack under them. :/

My ZJ isn't much better. Thankfully I have towpoints and a classIII rear hitch. So far so good.

Best suggestion someone gave me was to hand them the strap and say, "hook this to what you want to come out." :)

Reply to
DougW

Suckers are "Trail Rated" too, aren't they?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The problem with that is that most people have no idea what is a strong point, and i don't like getting hit with metal

Reply to
Stupendous Man

ON THAT NOTE:

Where exactly WOULD be the best place to get a good quality hook without paying a ransom for it? My winch didn't have a hook on it, I bought one, yea, chinky China.. but it holds the line for now, but if I had to use it it would really give me the puckers.

I'd like one with a keeper on it.

It's a Warn M8000 on an 06 Rubi. Yea yea yea.. I thought of Warn, but they kinda think their stuff is gold plated if you know what I mean.

K.

Reply to
Kate

"DougW" wrote

Best suggestion someone gave me was to hand them the strap and say, "hook this to what you want to come out." :)

Reply to
Kate

Try a good Farm Implement store, oil field supply, or truck supply shop. There is a reason you'll pay a bit more.

Reply to
Will Honea

These don't look too bad:

nrs

I prefer a swivel hook,

Stupendous Man

I like the look of the Interlocking safety hook, thanks for the link :)

These don't look too bad:

Kate

Ohhhh.. I like that one!

*blonde look* but does it like, come in other colors? I totally want one that, like, matches my jeep you know....?

heh heh... I think it looks like a winner. Thanks!

K.

I prefer a swivel hook,

Kate

That's just a thumb-pincher. The latches are something I remove.

Reply to
Stupendous Man