Towing with a Jeep

Fun, as in riding a white-knuckler at Magic Mountain? ;-)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Hi Bill,

2500HD 8.1 liter w/Allison transmission. 10,000 pound tow capacity.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"Brian T." wrote in news:Xns9491C263BD1B7wolfpackmp3@216.196.97.136:

Well, I have definitely decided not to use the Wrangler! Someone mentioned rentals. I am now considering just paying $450 to have a rollback carry it. Much easier on me and less stressful. However, someone mentioned renting a truck... any more info on this?

Brian

Reply to
Brian T.

Brian T. did pass the time by typing:

I mentioned it, but wasn't sure if HD Truck rental was available or how much it would cost.

If it was me, I'd shell out the $450 just to spare the problems.

Reply to
DougW

Brian: I know you are getting plenty of answers to your question. But let me tell you it is a very bad idea period. I tryed to pull 3,000 LBS. with my CJ-7 and dang neared killed myself. It will push your jeep all over the road. And if only on a slight down grade it will push you right around you will not know where you'll stop. It just about put me into the ditch it spund me around and I ended up in the wrong lane of the road the trailer jacked knifed and busted the trailer hub bent my wheel ruined and tire,all on the trailer. And then it broke my axle, the old two piece, on the CJ-7 it was a good time then to put in the mosser one piece axle's. And I was only going 10mph in second gear, I hurryed into 1st gear and stumped down to the floor on the gas peddle. It not for fast reflexes I know it would have been all over but the crying.

Do your self a favor DON'T

Jimmie: VP. North Iowa Off-Road Club

"Brian T." wrote in message news:Xns9491C263BD1B7wolfpackmp3@216.196.97.136... > I am looking for a bit of advice. I am considering towing another vehicle > (on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground) with my '93 Jeep > Wrangler (6 cyl. 4.0 liter, manual transmission). The weight of the > vehicle I want to tow is about 3500 lbs. Is this possible? Would it be > safe? I need to tow it about 300 miles. >

Reply to
CJ-Jimmie

Where were you 2 months ago when I needed to ship a car?! $450 is a deal. I paid a lot more than that to move a car from here to there. I looked into renting a truck and no rental agency I could find would rent a pickup truck to be used as a tow vehicle. I even went so far as to go to a place that rented pickups just to see if they had class 3 hitches, they didn't. The best I could find was Ryder would rent me a moving van to pull the trailer, but by the time I figured milage, gas and my time, shipping it was the best option for me.

Good luck Dean

Reply to
Dean

Nope, you missed it. He said "flat tow". You can knock the 1600 lb trailer out of the computations. BTW, the owners manual in my Wrangler says the tow capacity is 2500 lbs, not 2000. Still not enough for what the OP wants to tow. I, myself have a 5'x8' utility trailer on which I load 2 Harleys for a gross trailer weight around 2200lbs. My Wrangler tows it ok(except for the obvious lack of power because of the 4 cyl)and my wife's Cherokee(with the 6 cyl)tows it like it's not even there.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

You might mention source and destination locations... someone here, with the proper equipment, may be interested in doing the job. If it was close enough, I might for $425.

Reply to
JimG

You can also knock out the trailer brakes. I've flat towed for years - long descents down a grade can easily heat up the tow rig's brakes to and past the point of fade, and even of flat ground panic stops with an unbraked towed load are with a capital "P."

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

This is the exact reason why I got a trailer to tow my TJ.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, my wife got it for me for Xmas...Bill, I asked her if she could get one for you and she declined, saying something about "real jeeps don't need trailers" or something like that.

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, my wife got it for me for Xmas...Bill, I asked her if she could get one for you and she declined, saying something about "real jeeps don't need trailers" or something like that.

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Well, my wife got it for me for Xmas...Bill, I asked her if she could get one for you and she declined, saying something about "real jeeps don't need trailers" or something like that.

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

LOL that road has scared me a few times. The expedition holds the jeep fine, but the motorhome is a little scary. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)