Towing with a Jeep

More a case of the tail wagging the dog, I would have thought.. lol

Reply to
Mike Hall

You are "spot" on there big dog!

JimG

Reply to
JimG

I had a need to "have to" tow a 2800 # trailer 365 miles over the Vermont mountains with my

1999 TJ (6 cyl, Dana 44 axle, 5 speed). I went very cautiously and found two interesting things...the trailer didn't "push" the TJ around...it handled AOK, but I found that the BRAKES were something else. I was cautious so I didn't have any problems but found that on wet roads (yet, it was worst possible conditions) I got EARLY BRAKE LOCKUP on the front wheels. The 300 # tongue weight offloaded the front wheels sufficient to cause them to be very sensitive under braking. I suspect this is DC's reason for limiting the TJ to 2000 # even with the 6 cyl.

So...if you have to two > 2000 #, be cautious and really concerned about braking distances.

Walt Johnson

1999 TJ KB2UOU
Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

DC says the towing weight of the Wrangler in the UK (with D44 axle) is

1920kg = 4233lb as long as you have a braked trailer.

I wouldn't tow that 300 miles along the motorway.

Dave Milne

I also have a 00 Sport..I bought the Factory Service Manual,its worth it. I change the diff.fluid by removing the covers and letting them drain.My vehicle does not use gaskets just sealant. I use Mobil 1 gear oil. The trans. and transfer case use Penzol ATF Dex.III.

Reply to
DANFXR