increas trailer towing for a6 Quatro wagon

I need to increase the above for a 96 model. I noticed in the owners manual that with a two wheel trailer this model is rated for 2000 Lb trailer. If its a four wheel trailer you can pull 3500 Lbs.

The trailer I have is 2 wheel and the all up weight of trailer and boat is

3500 Lbs.

How can I increase the towing capacity of my Audi to 3500 Lbs (2 wheel Trailer). I assime the issue is tongue weight. Right? Does someoner make air struts?

Reply to
ramjet44

It could be a problem with stability on uneven roads, not just static weight.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Not to mention braking capabilities.

Seems to me one should always put 10% of the towed weight on the ball. I'm wondering if the owner's manual makes the assumption the tandem axle trailer has brakes...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Just a guess, that you'd spend more upgrading the car, even if that's possible, than just buying a four wheel trailer. Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

Are you sure the manual was referring to a two wheel and four wheel _trailer_?

Normally Audi rates their cars differently for towing for Frontwheel drive and Quattro.

As far as load on the hook is concerned, also that should be part of the manual.

IIRC my A6 Avant FWD can pull something like 3500lbs legally.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz