Transmission Problem

Hi .. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee .. today it didn't shift from

1st to 2nd until the engine was reveved much higher than usual. In checking the fluid it was a little foamy. The car has 80,000 miles. A neighbor told me I need a new or rebuilt transmission. If so, what type of money will I be looking at? Could this be any other problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Bobt
Reply to
Bobt

Wait till the fluid settles then check the level (there is a little plastic howto stuck to the radiator crossbrace). Generally it's in park with the engine running, after you have shifted through all the gears.

I suspect your ATF fluid low and your neighbor of working at Midas. :)

Use the correct fluid as called out in your service book, or call the dealer.

Reply to
DougW

Bobt,

First thing you need to do is change the fluid and filter as you do not indicate it has ever been done AND it should not be foamy.

Foamy fluid contains entrained air bubbles which will affect shifting.

The procedure is described at:

Use only ATF+4, do NOT use anything else. Do Not use any 'universal' fluid. Do not use dexron plus an additive to make ATF+4 (it doesn't) Do not go anywhere that wants to 'back flush' your transmission with detergents. Do not use any 'secret ingredient additives, cleaners, or sealers.

You can get the real stuff in Mopar or Valvoline brands. Valvoline brand ATF+4 is $3.69/qt at AutoZone. As far as I know those are the only 2 Jeep (DC) approved brands....

Let us know what happens after you change the fluid filter....

Reply to
billy ray

The connection on the throttle position sensor can be dirty. It controls the shift points on the 4.0 engine at least. it can be cleaned with a spray contact cleaner to fix strange shifting lots of times. WD40 can be used in a pinch.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy