True Trac LSD Questions

Hey all,

About to upgrade to a new Wrangler Sport here in Australia (from an old Wrangler Sport!).

This time round I am planning on getting LSD fitted (I believe Jeep call it True Trac?).

I am unable to find bugger all about this option on there web site.

Just wondering if the factory fitted Jeep LSD is good (tight)? Or is it to loose to be effective offroad?

Also was wondering if True Trac option was available for both rear and front diff's?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers, Rhu

Reply to
Rhubarb

From looking about a bit more Jeep may call the LSD True-Lok?

Reply to
Rhubarb

Yes, the limited slip option available for the rear axle only is the clutch-based Tracloc made by Dana. The Truetrac you asked earlier about it a much better/stronger gear-based aftermarket limited slip differential made by Tractech, the same firm that makes the Detroit Locker and the new Electrac.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks Jerry.

Is the True-Lok any good? Or is it to 'road' friendly?

What is a True Trac approximately worth $US? Are these able to be fitted to the front diff as well? If so would you recommend it?

Cheers, Rhu

Reply to
Rhubarb

A Truetrac works well in either the front or rear and is totally street friendly, you can't even tell it's there. They're better and more aggressive than the Tracloc is offroad but neither help that much in most offroad situations when the terrain is uneven enough that a tire is up in the air. They sell for $330 to $350 U.S. Here's a page that describes how the Truetrac and a few others work..

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The Trac-Loc (Trak-Loc?) is a friction disk design that works moderately well when new. It will increase the tendency to "fish tail" on wet and icy roads, but one quickly gets used to it and compensates. The disks wear out over time and require a special friction modifier additive to be added to the differential fluid, so that they will work properly. Since the disks do wear out, this also means that one has to add a periodic differential fluid change to the maintenance schedule to clean out shed friction material. I believe that the required interval is about 30,000 miles. The Trac-Lok is not considered heavy duty off road equipment, but it is useful on marginal surfaces like a wet and muddy gravel road for example. It's chief advantages are price and the fact that it is an option that can be ordered with a new Jeep.

There are Trac-Loc units available for Jeep front axles, but from the limited shopping around that I have done they are considerably more expensive than the rear units, and I do not know if they can be ordered with new vehicles. A disadvantage to having one on the front of a vehicle like the Wrangler is that the design does not permit the clutches to release completely, and it will affect steering. I believe that the Truetrac design does release completely and does not affect steering when placed on the front. Perhaps Jerry can clarify this.

In the "advanced user" department the Trac-Loc clutches are adjustable and an extra disk can be added to the clutch pack for those not satisfied with stock performance. This makes the clutch pack much tighter and will certainly affect on road performance.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton