Use Limited Diff Lube Only Tag Question

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Gee Bill, I guess ONE of us was wrong that the additive isn't contained in any GL-5 gear lubes lol. These were just the first ones that popped up, every brand I can find has the additive. EACH ONE of the above links specifically states they have the friction modifier additive. If you weren't such an asshole about such stuff, I would have let you off without sticking your face in it..

You're just too easy.

Jerry

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Go to the page you listed above, and you'll see specs for this one product including use on limited slip diffs, I believe it's a 75W140 gear oil. However, there are 5 other gear oils listed. All six are GL-5, but check them all, the bottom 3 listed DO NOT have the limited slip additive.

I didn't look any further

Reply to
Frogster

I never said every single GL-5 lube has it, I said that MOST of them do. And on store shelves where they aren't as specialized as Redline Oil is, you'd be lucky to find even ONE GL-5 gear lube without the friction modifier additive. Next time you're in an automotive parts store, try to find just one GL-5 that doesn't have the friction modifier that makes it compatible with a clutch-based LSD. I tried a few times and gave up....

Jerry

Frogster wrote:

Jerry Bransford

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

(Redine) "It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units"

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials"

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials."

"Contains special additives to reduce chattering in limited-slip differentials" (Valvoline)

"PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-140 GL-5 is fully formulated for all limited slip differentials and in power dividers requiring limited slip additives."

Let's see... the first five brands I checked ALL contain the friction modifier additive.... wrong again Bill.

You just can't ever admit you're wrong, you must be a hell of a person to have to live with.

Jerry

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Same here, I think.

Shortly after I bought my XJ (90K miles), the rear end went South. At the time, I had a good relationship with the local Dodge/Jeep dealership, as in the owners were sort of friends of the family. They put in a junkyard unit for me, with a one year warranty. I forget the price, but it was discounted from regular dealership prices to the level of a regular shop.

About 4 months later, when checking things over, I discovered the seals leaking and spilling lube onto the rear brakes. The dealer (now closed, unfortunately) replaced the seals and even put in new shoes, gratis.

About a week later, after a 20 mile freeway run, it started grabbing on right turns. They put in some of the additive and everything has been just fine ever since (3 years now).

So, sometimes you may need a bit more additive than the "compatible" stuff has in it. Or, maybe the "compatible" oil is merely that. Compatible doesn't mean the additive is in there, just the it won't cause a problem.

Gee, I miss Claude Short Dodge in Santa Monica.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Any one I could find had it Bill. I was forced to go with some no name semisynthetic 'only' because it was the only crap I could find 'without' the friction modifier in it. Really, it was a pain in the ass!

I was in a rush after a year in pieces to have my CJ7 ready for a run so I used the GL4-GL5 'compatible' with the 'limited slip' compatible on it. It worked for the run at least....

My T-5 started having fits shortly after with the syncros acting like they weren't there.

It shifts great now once I changed fluid.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I, for one, learned TWO things.

1.) At least be careful in reading the bottle and don't just assume it's got it, even if it says "compatible".

2.) Jerry and Bill's relati> Jerry you're hopeless! But I sure with your ever more ignorant

Reply to
twaldron

Of course we are all wrong that most already contain the friction modifier and Bill is right that they don't contain it. In the, what, 5-6 years BIll has been on this newsgroup, has he EVER admitted to being wrong lol? Nope, he is incapable of doing such a simple thing.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford