What size tire?

Well i bitt the big one, today, after selling my lathe, i bought my 2.5 lift kit and a winch, for my 90 YJ, so now im after some info on tires, ive been running the tires off my truck, all-terrain raidials, 30 inch, now half worn out and proven to be crap on a steep slope,,grin , so my question, im going after BFG all terrain "KO's" on my stock rims for now, and as i do alot of street and plan to play hard on the weekends, here in rainy washington, , with my jeep being stock gearing, 2.5L(aka-little mice)4banger, standard trans, and a weak diff, can i go up to 31"s or 32"s and still be able to use 5th gear on the highway, without opening the doors for extra wind power? and still be good in 4Low on the trail? , going after the tires this weekend so any help would be helpfull, (before the wife finds the stash and buys a TV.

thanks, johnp

Reply to
scopenutt

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I suspect you have 3.07 gears because AFAIK 4.10 was only a Canadian option. Going to 31's may be liveable but 32's won't be for sure. I went from235/75 to 31's with a fresh 4.0L and I find it fairly sluggish. P.S. never sell a power tool to facilitate a purchase, auction off a kidney or something but never sell a power tool!

-Brian (wants a lathe)

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd
4.10's came stock with the 4-cyl engine, at least in the TJ model...
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
4.10's come in every 4 cylinder YJ that I have seen... very common.
Reply to
JimG

(with the manual 5 speed, anyway)

Reply to
JimG

I won't argue this point.... now that I think hard about it.

  1. D44 was a Canada-only option on the YJ
  2. 3.07 was stock gearing in the 4.2/4.0 YJ Sorry for the misleading post, I think I have it correct now.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

I don't think I have ever seen a YJ with a D44... The last of the CJ's like mine got them just because they ran out of the others.

Mike

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wonder why they gave us D44s in YJ/TJs, but didn't in XJs ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What gear is in the CJ? Is that a T5? I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder CJ's. If you have 4.10s and not worried about highway performance, then go for the 33's if you can get them in the fenders.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Well if I go 33x10.5, I'm doing a 2.5" suspension lift with RS9000. Otherwise I'll go 31x10.5 or 31x9.5. I "think" it's the T5 (according to

Hopefully by summer I'll have found a decent '91+ YJ or a CJ with a 6 or an

8 cyl and can trade mine in. Or I can decide to spend my entire summer swapping in a 350 with fuel injection. Wee!!
Reply to
griffin

Just because you've never seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. I've never seen a dinosaur but I'm hoping to get out to California to meet Bill someday. ;-) Third paragraph:

Section:

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

And exports to Pacific (Japan, Australia and New Zealand). All TJs here have rear Dana 44 as standard (with LSD).

TW in New Zealand

Reply to
TW

Ahh, I thought you meant stock from the factory...

Mike

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

They were optional from factory in Canada, that was my point. US models didn't have the option and apparently overseas models were all equipped with them according to other posters.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd