where to find fasteners for hide-a-trunk

I just recently got a hide a trunk off of ebay. It came with the bolts that attach the trunk to the tub, but no nuts for the tub.

I called the local dealer, and he couldn't find a part # for me. Can anybody help me on this one?

thanks, matt

Reply to
matt

Matt - I got mine at the local hardware store. You know those displays with al the hardware in plastic drawers? They were in there. They have a name but it escapes me at the moment. What your looking for is a little rubber plug that looks like a top hat. At the "top" of the top hat is a nut. You stick the plug into the hole in the tub, then when you put the bolt in, it threads through the nut, pulls it back, which expands the rubber so that it doesn't pull back out of the hole. Hope that explanation helps. I think I have some extras in the garage

- email me if you need a picture of one. I know I ended up buy a couple different sizes because I wasn't sure what fit. They were only a couple cents each.

-Ed

Reply to
Ed J.

Anchor? Sort of like an anchor you would use in your wall for a heavy picture? (obviously not a hard plastic one, just the same style of operation)

Reply to
Jp Davis

butterfly nuts??

"Ed J." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Patrick

Butterflies don't have nuts!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's called a "well nut". My local ACE hardware stocks them

Reply to
Paul Calman

They're called wellnuts! Here's a picture:

Ed J.

Patrick did pass the time by typing:

? That's more for cycle glass, but the shape is right.

Reply to
DougW

As I wondered what that is, I asked google. Apparently that's another name for "wing nut".

Thanks for the wellnut suggestion. I'm not the OP, but today I tried installing the splash guards on my TJ. The fronts are fine and so it the driver-side rear. (hint: remove the 4 T-30 screws holding the bumper's endcap, it's much easier to remove the plastic rivet then)

However, on the passenger side the cavity where I am supposed to put my hand to put the (hex) nut behind the sheet metal is blocked. Instead of an empty hole to reach through, there is a black (plastic?) thing in the way. What might that be and is there an easy way to move it? The location is at the back of the passenger-side rear wheel well about where the taillight is mounted. I'll check at the hardware store for a wellnut and also a matching plastic rivet since the rivet may work as well.

TIA,

-D

PS. the splash guards are the rubber ones from Mopar: #82202305

the Jeep is an '05 TJ

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Thanks guys. I KNEW there had to be something I could use, I just couldn't think of it.

thanks, matt

Reply to
matt

I certainly would 'not' use those rubber mounts unless you want the first person that is interested just to walk away with the whole box. They are not structural fasteners, they are vibration fittings. Good for mounting glass only, I wouldn't even trust them to mount a radiator in solid.

You 'can' get the same items in lead or in steel. The steel ones have slits and expand in a star shape under the metal. The lead ones are made to expand inside something like a tube or hole in concrete.

Mike

matt wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain