Willys engine question

Bought a jeep willys to restore/fix up, whatever. It has the flat head four cylinder 134ci and new carb, it runs pretty good but tons of white smoke from the exaust. I tried some marvile mystery oil, let it sit in each cylinder for an hour or so then blew it all out and started it up again hoping if it was a stuck ring or rings etc. Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply to
8thegreat

White smoke usually means water. The muffler can be full of water that will take a while to steam away or you could have a head gasket issue.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

White smoke would either be coolant, or water in the muffler.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

So if it's not water in the muffler then we are talking a cracked head/block or blown head gasket right? How do I tell which is my problem?

Reply to
8thegreat

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'd recommend asking around on the Willys tech list,

You might also check out the CJ3B page forums,

and the Early CJ5 site now has a forum dedicated to flat fenders that used your engine-

There a wealth of info, experience & resources for your jeep at these places-

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Blue smoke means oil. White smoke means steam, so you may have a cracked head gasket. Before you pull the head, you might try some stop leak. If the steam stops, then you'll know that was the problem. If the leak is too bad, water will get into the oil and can destroy the main bearings.

Have fun restoring that Jeep. A friend gave me a '61 Kaiser Willys CJ5 with a Koenig body. It sat under a tree for ten years. I'm restoring it now.

Reply to
Bill Lahr

Thousands of those flatheads are in service on sailboats as auxilliaries: known as the Atomic Four. =20 Few crack.

Reply to
Accessory Section 8

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thousands more live on as forklift engines.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Continental built many, Graham used Continentals along with a lot of others. I have 4 uncracked Contiental 6 heads in the garage, one is aluminum. The straight eight was more prone to cracks in the deck than the head. Back on topic, a 4 cyl flatthead should take about 15 minutes to remove. Once you have each head nut about flush with the top of the threads, wd-40 the studs and lightly tap each sideways front and side, to free them in the bores to help get the head up over them, then finish removing the nuts. Never re-use a head gasket, even the solid copper kind.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Maybe true of the Willy's Marine engines, but Grey Marine? Thousands.

Reply to
randallbrink
Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III