Winch motor

I replaced the selonoid pack on my warn MX8080 today. The last time I used my winch, I over-used it and melted a lead wire from the top right selonoid to the far left pole on the winch top. I figured I had burned out the selonoids, since it wouldn't even click.

I wired the new selonoids exactly like the old ones, still no dice. Just a click. Then got the idea to try jumper cables on the power in's on the winch. Still no luck. It's getting good ground, but putting +12v to the poles does nothing. Pulled the motor off, smelled a little burned inside.

Do I need new brushes? New motor? New winch?

I may just sell this winch and buy a new one.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Smoking out the cable from the solenoid to the motor likely smoked out the motor windings too. The windings only use a varnish type of material for insulation and it does melt.

If you arced a brush, you might be able to knock it loose by manually turning the motor over.

That 'smell' is usually the cooked windings though.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike-

It's actually a warn8085, if that matters. Will a motor meant for an 8274 fit? I can get a new one for about 100bux.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The folks at Warn seem good at helping. I'll bet they know what ones will cross fit.

We have local starter and alternator shops that will rewind motors. Maybe check your Yellow Pages for someone local to give it new windings then you have an almost new setup.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain