Words Can't Describe....

I wonder if it'll ever make it to production?

John R

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Looks way too breakable ...and it actually has AERODYNAMICS ...and as a Jeeper with a brick-on-rollerskates mentality, aerodynamics are useless. Give me a square. Drop some O/S mudders on it, make it heavy and metallic, give me a rusted paintjob and $9000 of offroad accessories that can supply an infantry division, and then meet me on the trails. That thing looks like a spiked-up-minicooper-on-'roids.

boo

griffin

twaldron

GOD I hope not, I would have to buy a Hummer. HarryS

HarryS

Your right. Words cant describe how hideous that is!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

Doubtful, because it wouldn't sell. If the trad Jeep market will buy the brick on wheels and won't buy anything else, they will keep making the brick on wheels. The old style Jeeps are made by several companies in export markets and they probably will be imported here when the cost of federalizing them intersects the higher production costs in some of these markets, where the local auto industry is actually not that cost competitive despite low wages due to low productivity or the local governments cause too much trouble.

It's worth noting that several "throwback" products like the Hindustan Ambassador are sold in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, and if they thought Americans would buy 'em in numbers enough to federalize them they would here too. The Indian built new 1955 Royal Enfield bikes are over here now, although the price is a lot higher than over there.

Just like the Harleys, it's now possible to build a Jeep from all aftermarket parts, and if used Jeeps were priced like Harleys, a lot more people would. Harley-Davidson would probably love to make only the V-Rod liquid cooled bike, but they're not selling. The old one is. So it stays in production. The DIY assembled and Big Dog aftermarket bikes are a definite factor keeping H-D on its old style course.

If people wouldn't buy shitty products, they would quit making them.

Reply to
Ted Azito

IT DID

Daimler Chrysler have had the smart car in production in Europe for years................there are many similarities

AK

and very nasty they are too. Stupid little cars bought by stupid people.

Dave Milne

Agreed.................I wouldn't be seen dead in one - not that a dead body would fit inside one!!!

Reply to
AK

I'm after a few stickers of smartcars - I plan to draw a little red cross through them and stick them to the front bumper of my wagoneer...

Dave Milne

It's worth keeping in mind that federal safety and emmissions standards continue to evolve. Future side-impact standards or some other nonsense could regulate the "traditional" jeep into history. As others suggest, thank goodness for the strong aftermarket, to keep "real" jeeps (including TJs, whatever Bill Hughes may think) on the road for a long, long time.

Brian

New cars are being built with the aim of allowing feckless pedestrians to leap out in front of you and survive being hit. No way any Jeep or 4x4 is going to be able to stay the same pedestrian-splatting shape for very long, I think.

Dave Milne

I was a bit miffed with my new Cherokee (Liberty) - they gave me an accessories catalogue, decided I wanted a nice shiney front A bar to be told that I couldn't have one fitted because it is now against the law for 2004 onwards cars to have them!!!

Reply to
AK

AK did pass the time by typing:

Boggle... Why?

Actually I prolly know the answer to that. lemdestrians, pedemings. ^_^

Reply to
DougW

because A bars are very hard - hit a pedestrian and you are significantly more likely to kill them than without....................the UK is aiming to have pedestrian friendly cars!!

Reply to
AK

Vs a lorry one supposes. The most dangerous thing in the UK to me at least is failure to look left before crossing the road. :) Second only to taxi drivers.

Ah! I can fix that easy. Just sling a couple of these up front.

DougW

Roll bar padding comes to mind... ;-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Wood makes the best bumper, because you can power-sand off the evidence, I mean the skin and blood and teeth...

Just kidding! But it is cheap and frangible.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Make that failure to look RIGHT. See what I mean. x_x

Reply to
DougW