Wrangler 2003 w/ an interior fan problem

The fan for blowing air inside my Jeep has been slowly degrading performance. At first I though it was me. But as of this morning, the only cycle that works for blowing air is the highest setting. The three lower settings do not turn the fan on at all.

Does anyone have any information they can share that would help me understand what part my be going bad or is bad or how to fix it?

Thanks Ig

Reply to
Ig

That is usually the resistor pack that lives in the bottom of the passenger side footwell in the heater box.

There also seems to be a batch of defective switches out there, but usually that craps out high as well. If it is the switch, you can just by it, you don't need the whole cluster.

Mike

Mike Romain

I believe the slower speeds are regulated by a resistor pack with the high speed going directly through the switch. In the WJ it is below the dash behind the glove box.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact location for your model/year.

Reply to
billy ray

Thank Mike. I'll look into this.

Ig

Reply to
Ig

Thanks Billy Ray. Maybe it won't be as big a deal as I thought then.

Ig

Reply to
Ig

Mike knows a lot more than I do on the subject. Had I seen his post I probably wouldn't have replied....

I've not had the problem but I've heard the hardest part is contorting yourself upside down in the passenger seat so you can see what you are doing.... To some of us it is more difficult than it used to be a couple years ago....ahem....when we were young and skinny.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

This is not very hard to replace at all !! It is located below the glove compartment and is held in with two screws.. It's actually in the air stream of the blower to help keep the resistors cool.. I paid less than $15.00 and didn't need to turn upside down - did that alot on airplanes but not yet on my Jeep... The resistor block is simply several resistors protected by a cage - half the size of a soda can. Also, I would clean the connections at the motor under the hood. I found mine corroded and once cleaned, made a big difference....

Reply to
MANATEE

Sound promising...thanks.

Reply to
Ig

It's kinda hard if you only know it's in the passenger footwell area. I disassembled several interesting parts of the heater box, little motors driving geared cams, etc., before discovering the resistor pack. On my 2002 (with AC) it's a black credit card shaped powder coated gizmo with some wire strips imbedded in it. Looked fine but sure enough one strip was an open circuit.

Reply to
Mark