Wrangler hardtop bolts

Does anyone know where I can find replacement bolts for holding on my '99 Wrangler hardtop? I've managed to lose a few over the years and it is getting near the season for putting it back on. Thanks!

Reply to
dwelzel

Jerry Bransford

Reply to
RoyJ

I'm all about making stuff, but how much does a dealer get for the nuts and/or bolts?

My time is far too valuable to make a $2 part.

Reply to
B a r r y

It might be worth a phone call but I think it unlikely you will get out of the parts department for $2.

If you make your own bar-nuts I would use brass or stainless bolts or coat everything with anti-seize.

Reply to
Billy Ray

How much do we owe you, for this post? ;o)

Earle

--snippy--

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Just tack-weld it in place. :O

This post is sold as-is, without warranty. Not responsible for melting, fire, explosion, or toxic fumes.

Reply to
yjarray

I mail the bills on the 30th of each month...

Reply to
B a r r y

As a woodworker, I make and modify plenty of tools, set-up blocks, and jigs. I know the value of shop-made stuff, on a case by case basis.

But making my own 5/16 nuts?

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry, I'm with you. You pick your battles in life and making nuts just isn't one of them for me either. One day, I hope to be a real jeeper with a real Jeep. For now, I'll stick to my TJ, XJ and factory hard top nuts. ;) ___________________________________________________________ tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco 03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5" 01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,

1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email) ___________________________________________________________

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Weld nuts are what you want. Any good industrial or welding supply house can supply 5/16-18 weld nuts which are a flat metal tab with a threaded hole. They cost about $15 for a pack of 50.

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

The ones I bought are about 1 1/8" long by about 9/16" wide, 1/8" thick and fit nicely up in the channel around the tub. I guess I don't know what you mean by "self holding". Here is a picture:

jeff

When you turn the wrench, the stock length ones turn slightly so they catch in the body's channel jamming in there. They have angled flat ends. Once they rust a bit, they stay put pretty good. ;-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Holding the top on can also be accomplished with a $.07 fender washer under the nut. Maybe I can be a real Jeeper after all, as I have u-joints for my socket sets.

I'm pretty sure the stock nuts on my TJ don't turn, as they are held in plastic clips that slide along the bottom of the rail. I can't remember my YJ's fasteners.

FWIW, my local dealer sells the nuts for $3.06 each, including the plastic retainer.

Reply to
B a r r y

Do you not have Ziplock bags in your neck of the woods?

The self holding feature is kind of useless when the top is off, as my nuts always fall off, usually into the seat belt retractor. Now I'm smart enough to take them off, so I don't lose them.

If I was bent on leaving them in place when the hard top is off, I'd replace the bolts. Losing your nuts is a bad thing...

Reply to
B a r r y

The image of you driving through the woods, with your nuts falling off, is more than I need to know.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

And with that, I say good night!