XJ Failed Emissions Test

Okay, so the light came on again after a couiple of days so I replaced the gas cap and the station cleared the codes, I put on 150 miles to get the computer "ready" and the Jeep passed the emissions test. (The brakes passed the safety test as is).

Three weeks later the "check engine" light is back. Assuming I get the same codes this time (0442 and 0455-small and large leaks) where is a logical place to find a probably intermittent evaporations system leak? With a specific target, I may try to find it now, otherwise, I'll just wait until I need the emissions test again next year.

Reply to
kokonutty

Just to double check....

When you replace the gas cap you ALWAYS turn it until it 'clicks' 3 times right?

Reply to
billy ray

More like five or six...or ten.

Reply to
kokonutty

On some vehicles gas caps from the dealers are better, or at least seal to the gas filler tube tighter. On the 2001 you might have pumps, tubing, valves, cannisters, relays that are for the evap system too. Maybe you could test the evap system by disconnecting one of the hoses/tubes and supplying very very low air pressure to it to see if it leaks out. If it does then listen for any leaks.

Just a thought, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
One out of many daves

On at least a 96 and 99 xj's I've owned there's a little pump like thing on the firewall to the right of the engine. If you put your hand on it with the engine running you should hear/feel it do a thump thump type thing. It pulls a vacuum on the fuel tank. So if there's a bad rubber line anywhere around it that may be your problem. Harbor Freight has a code scanner that will read and clear codes for $39.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I think you are in need of a smoker. The lines get filled with smoke so you can see the leaks.

Mike

Mike Romain