XJ front brakes

Hey all,

Getting ready to replace the stock composite rotors and put new pad the the front of the XJ. What are you guys using and/or have had good luck with lately?

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I'm a fan of Stillen rotors and Performance Friction Carbon/Metallic pads.

Reply to
DougW

Hey Doug,

I like Stillen's too, but they're overkill for this grocery getter. If it ever does any real offroad time, I'd probably go that route.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I find I get the best performance from the cheapest set of pads I can find that are riveted onto their backing.

These are normally a soft compound that grabs really well while 'not' damaging the rotor unless I let them wear too far.

You sacrifice a bit of lifetime for much better grab but my daily drivers don't wear out brakes fast anyway so by the time they are worn. they are rotted anyway.

I think some companies believe their 'name' is worth big bucks, I only think that is sucker hype.... after falling for it a few times...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

My XJ is my daily driver, soending less than 5% of its time off pavement, so I just went to the dealership. Last week I bought Part # VXJ15965 Brake Kit Pkg. 5003003" from a local dealer for $125.24, plus state tax. It included (2) stainless steel rotors, sets of pads, new bolts, and new pin boots.

Had I wanted just rotors, they'd have been $89 each.

I had to get the anti-rattle clips and grease from NAPA, as the MOPAR kit didn't include them.

Reply to
98XJ

Think of it this way. I put those pads on the ZJ back in April of 2002 and so far put 48,623 miles on them. I can still see the chamfer on the cross drilled holes and the pads migh have lost 2mm or so, but are still at greater than half the service life.

Otherwise I'd recommend you stick with OEM.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the replies, guys. 98XJ, are you sure that kit is not a composite rotor kit? I really don't want to go back with composite as they've been nothing but trouble since the XJ was new. What type of pads does it include?

tw

98XJ wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Not a bad run for those pads. I don't want OEM since they're composite, unless there is a cast substitute.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

TW- The Jeep mechanic at the dealership was called-on by the parts guy to assist me. He volunteered that MOPAR had such problems with the earlier (composite) brakes, that they now are using Stainless.

The pads are carbon-metaiilc, I believe. One can get the same Kit, but with ceramic pads for an additional $25 -30.

Incidentally, the $125.24 that I paid was discounted from the $165.00 list price because I had to make an extra trip because their computer showed an inaccurate inventory.

Reply to
98XJ

Hey, thanks for the follow up. That explains a lot!

tw

98XJ wrote:
Reply to
twaldron