TJ won't start /run

I have a 2000 TJ. It currently won't start most of the time and when it did start it was only after sitting over night and then would start and run for about 5-15 minutes depending on the temperature outside. I replaced the following with on luck... the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft position sensor, the coil pack. when none of these work I had it towed to a garage who after trying some other test, replaced the PCM. But still does want to start/run. The jeep is set up with CA emissions.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Reply to
SNSPRT

Clean the throttle position sensor connector with electrical cleaner.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Does that usually get afeected by heat?

Reply to
SNSPRT

scanner shows problem with camposition sensor.

I forgot to put this in original posting

Reply to
SNSPRT

With all the problems and replaced bits you are mentioning, I would suspect a faulty harness or ground splice issue.

That's going to take a multimeter, disconnecting the harness, and about 4 hours of your time to diagnose.

These days most shops only hook up the scanner. Problem is the scanner can't detect wiring faults that well.

Reply to
DougW

Can you describe more about it not starting? Do you turn the key, hear it crank, but the engine doesn't turn? etc...

I had a problem with my 2000 TJ where that would happen. It was like there was a fuel pump problem. It was under warranty at the time. The dealer had NO IDEA what was wrong. They just started replacing everything. Fuel tank (fuel pump is part of tank), PCM, etc.. They would fix it, it wouldn't start again and I would bring it back. I think this went of for about 2 - 3 weeks where I didn't have the car. Eventually, I just worked.

I suspect replacing the PCM solved the issue. Overall, I think a grounding issue or short was causing the failure.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Turn the key, engine turns but doesn't start.the engine would start first thing in the morning and run for 5-15 minute. the garage hooked up three test lights to the ignition coil control wires before starting it one morning. the lights came on when the engine started. the after while the some of the lights would start to flicker or just go out. That is how they made the call that the PCM was the problem. But after replacing that the engine still won't start.

Reply to
SNSPRT

Your description is almost exactly what I experienced. From what I recall, the fuel pump (part of tank) melted. They replaced that and the PCM. They also indicated they had a diagnostics tech looking for shorts.

Are there any TSBs on this? I recall hearing other people experienced this problem a few years ago.

Also note, I think many of these problem occured after putting down my front windshield. After that, I experienced a leak between the front windshield and lower gasket. This may have caused some shorting and been a contributing factor into the problem.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes