2" lift, which springs?

OK....

2" lift, more to compensate for the ammount of crap I seem to cart about in the trusty 109/110 hybrid.

I've heard too many tales of after market springs (all "colours") that are just not up to snuff, like they're OK at first, but quickley settle to the same as or lower than standard after a while, or cause a list to one side or the other.

I don't mind spending a bit of dosh, but not over the odds. There again, I don't want to be changing springs again in a year or two because they've sagged.

At the moment, it's sitting on heavy duty single coils front and rear, standard hight, thiough the front seems to have "settled" more than the rear. (200TDi lump up front, no winch yet, but planned.)

So... Options? Here I am consulting the wise (on this list of course)

"Standard" springs and spacers? Taller springs? Or even Wolf or Police spec dual springs at the rear (bit like rocking horse dodo to find) and ??? at the front?

Usage? "multi purpose" & I do tow a 'van at times, no anti roll bars fitted, locker in the back. Looking as much for reliability and long life as much as anything.

One recomendation so far has been to get some of the Ozzy OME springs as they seem to last the longest (I've been told.) But no one seems to stock them at the moment, and are quoting "Silly" lead times, and no garrantee they can get them it seems.

Yes I know I'll need longer shocks, or lowered top mounts and larger bump stops. Not looking for ultimate articulation after all.

Comments?

Regards.

Dave B.

109/110 hybrid coiler, on gally chassis.
Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Just fit HD springs on the rear as fitted on the hardtop. They will lift anyway compared to saggy standards and you can load it up suitably without sag. No need for alterations to shocks or brake lines. Transformed my 110 CSW.

Which reminds me, I need to adjust the headlights. I've avoided doing the front yet as I can retain some comfort as the HDs are a much firmer ride.

lifted standard springs will still sag when loaded.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Err... It's already on HD springs at the back.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

My mistake, should have read it properly.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Dave Hi,

Since I first started driving Disco 1 vehicles (back in 1993) and after passing 17 years with them the only brand of coil springs that I found firsthand not to be sagging and being suitable only for scrap after a few months of offroad use or something less than a year with dual usage (on and off the road) were the ones that Scoprion Racing used to sell.

The company selling them now is called EXTREME4X4Ltd.

OME are not bad either but they usually get the ride too hard and only have a few types and they are not 100% suitable for all applications.

On the contrary ex Scorpion and now EXTREME has a HUGE variety of types of coils suited perfectly to any imaginable combination of weight, height and desired hardness or softness of ride.

Due to the quality and long lasting life of those coils I ended up being the exclusive representative and distributor of ex Scorpion and now EXTREME in Greece. And eventhough I sell those coilsprings since 2000 in Greece not even one of the people who have fitted them has had to change a set yet (and I have sold lots of them in the running of the past 10 years.) As for a first hand and personal experience I think the best one has to do with my

1994 evented ex-Greek team Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi. On those vehicle we used to chage coil springs and shock absorbers at least every 6 months even with the HD Land Rover items fitted (and the rear ones also have additional internal helper springs from Carmichael). When I got fed up with this I asked SR to make a special set based on the weight of the car on the front and rear axle and factory suspension height. It is now almost 5 years that they are going strong and appear they will be like that for quite a few more. And we are talking about a car that weights 800 kilos more than a standard Disco 200Tdi.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Thanks for the info Pantelis. I'll look them up. I may need to visit a weighbridge too by the sound of it. Unoficialy of course!

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter