XJ rear brake assembly help

Hi guys, I picked up a used 2000 Cherokee. It had some noise coming from the rear brakes when coming to a full stop. I took it apart for a look/see. I think one side has something not assembled quite right. Can't tell which is right though. I have the factory service manual, but its not clear on this detail: In the area of the anchor pin at the top of the assembly, what is the order of assembly? On one side I have shoes, then retainer piece, then adjuster cable, then springs. This setup allows the adjuster cable to fit solidly on the shoulder of the anchor pin. The retainer doesn't fit so good and does not sit well onto the shoulder of the anchor pin. This setup keeps the self adjuster in good solid contact with the star wheel down below. I'm not sure if its supposed to be that way though. The other wheel has a different order: shoes, retainer, then adjuster cable, then springs. This setup lets the retainer fit more solidly on the anchor pin and against the shoes. The adjuster cable however has no room left on the shoulder of the anchor pin and thus fits little loser and lets the cable have a little slack. This causes the self adjuster tang to not touch the star wheel. Which way is correct? I have searched the archives and this has been discussed before, but no solid answers. Looks like its been done both ways. Can someone tell me the proper order? Also can someone briefly explain the adjuster mechanism? Specifically, should the normal rest position of the adjuster arm be contacting the star wheel and the cable taught or should it be slightly away from the star wheel with a bit of slack in the cable? Thanks for any help. -Nick

Reply to
NickT

L.W.(ßill)

The adjuster should be engaged with the star wheel. If it is not touching, it won't adjust when you hit the brakes in reverse.

Mike

NickT wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bill, thanks for the links. I'm still confused, if you or anyone can give me more advice. My setup looks like the top half of the photograph, however, down by the star wheel is different. My adjusting arm and counter spring are BELOW the star wheel. It looks more like the not so complete picture from the service manual. Maybe mine works differently? In other words, the rest position keeps the arm slightly away from the star due to the placement of the counter spring. When the little cable becomes taught, it brings the arm up and gives the star an upward spin, tightening the brakes. Could this be? I've never been intimidated by rear brakes, no matter how mixed up the parts were, it always seemed like they only went back one way. I never had this dilemma. The answer lies in taking apart my TJ, but I can't schedule my wife to have it home long enough,lol. Thanks for any help. -Nick

Reply to
NickT

Thanks Mike and Bill, I think I got it. I went and swapped cars and took the tj apart to compare. The adjuster cable should go on top of the retainer as the photo shows. It doesn't need to be seated on the same shoulder as the retainer piece. The cable is taught simply hooked on the same location as the springs. I took it apart to measure the cable. Put it back together, and then had a loose cable again. Ahha, now I know its me. Took a coffee and donut break, got a stool and stared at it for awhile. Re-assembled and payed more attention to the cable guide. I found that if its hastily installed, it doesn't sit flat against the shoe frame and causes slack in the adjuster cable. It would probably fall into place after some driving, but made me crazy. Thanks for your help. -Nick

Reply to
NickT

Glad you got it.

There is a 50/50 chance the cable falls in place or jumps off when you start driving.

The one in the photo looks wrong somehow, I had a second look at it and that arm is just not in the right place, I think that would be a cable jumper.

The arm needs to be at the bottom to hold the cable tight. The cable then pulls the arm up when stopping in reverse and the spring pulls it back down to click the star wheel a notch until the slack is out of the brake shoes, then it just skips over the teeth.

I have seen a 'whole' lot that had fallen off after the last brake job when I have done shoes.

My 'Boss' has a Ford van and I did his brakes a bit ago and one rear shoe set had never touched the drum since they were installed at the dealer. Yup, that cable was just hanging loose. (anyone need a drivers side set of heavy shoes for a Ford 150 van?)

Mike

NickT wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think its just a different set-up. My adjuster is under the star and has hairpin type counterspring rather than the coil spring in the photo. My cable connects to the adjuster through a coil spring. I think the adjuster pictured would have to be threaded oposite as mine as well. To back mine off, I have to spin my wheel 'up' as viewed though the back access hole, this one looks like you'd have to spin it down from the back hole. Thanks for the info. -Nick

whoops.... hit the wrong key, I think I accidently sent this directly to Bill's email.

Reply to
NickT

Different types. Some push and some pull. That one pushes and looks right.

Reply to
bllsht