YJ engine Transplant

I have a 88 YJ its in good condition but the 258 doesnt have the power it should, the automatic transmision is about done with, and the
carter carb is shit. I've been reading into a 350 drop but from the sounds of it, its expensive and takes some time. I'm just praying that if I skank a fuel injected 4.0 engine and transmision from a cherokee it would just bolt right in. Up here in vermont they're not alot of wranglers in salvage yards and its alot easier and probaly cheaper to find a cherokee.
But then, you coulda had a V8. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Adam wrote:

L.W.(ill) Hughes III wrote:

or a dead grand wagoneer?
im for the turbo diesel swap. turbo diesels are better off road, and the newer ones are quiet. something like the ISB 170 would be good
Pardon me while I go throw up. I guy on television compare the unhealthiness of breathing smoke from our San Diego's wild fires to that of breathing diesel fumes from a Mercedes, then told us to stay indoors. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Erik Litchy wrote:

Maybe he meant: Stay indoors, in the garage, with the diesel Mercedes running...?
L.W.(ill) Hughes III wrote:

tw
03 TJ Rubicon
While you're at it, the late models Grand Waggys have d44s with 6-bolt hubs front and rear (you will want to re-gear them, though, their gearing is rather high).
--
Jim

"Erik Litchy" < snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net> wrote in message
L.W.(ill) Hughes III wrote:

or a dead grand wagoneer?
im for the turbo diesel swap. turbo diesels are better off road, and the newer ones are quiet. something like the ISB 170 would be good
Adam I just installed a 98 ZJ 4.0 in my 89 YJ. You are on the right track with an XJ engine and tranny. Remember the AW4 is computer controlled so get all the wiring for the engine and the tranny. I did not change the tranny but the 4.0 swap is not that hard. If you need info I have a lot of links for this swap. Jim F. BTW I love the new engine!
--
"I refuse to belong to any group that would have me as a member" Groucho
Marx