YJ engine Transplant

I have a 88 YJ its in good condition but the 258 doesnt have the power it should, the automatic transmision is about done with, and the carter carb is shit. I've been reading into a 350 drop but from the sounds of it, its expensive and takes some time. I'm just praying that if I s**nk a fuel injected 4.0 engine and transmision from a cherokee it would just bolt right in. Up here in vermont they're not alot of wranglers in salvage yards and its alot easier and probaly cheaper to find a cherokee.

Reply to
Adam

L.W.(ßill)

or a dead grand wagoneer?

im for the turbo diesel swap. turbo diesels are better off road, and the newer ones are quiet. something like the ISB 170 would be good

Reply to
Erik Litchy

or a dead grand wagoneer?

im for the turbo diesel swap. turbo diesels are better off road, and the newer ones are quiet. something like the ISB 170 would be good

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

While you're at it, the late models Grand Waggys have d44s with 6-bolt hubs front and rear (you will want to re-gear them, though, their gearing is rather high).

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
twaldron

Adam I just installed a 98 ZJ 4.0 in my 89 YJ. You are on the right track with an XJ engine and tranny. Remember the AW4 is computer controlled so get all the wiring for the engine and the tranny. I did not change the tranny but the 4.0 swap is not that hard. If you need info I have a lot of links for this swap. Jim F. BTW I love the new engine!

Reply to
Hackle