YJ slave cylinder

Well, the slave cylinder died on my YJ today. Will the slave out of an AX15 fit my AX5?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Robb S via CarKB.com

Maybe not? I filled the resevoir, bled it three times and re-filled it. Clutched it about 150 times and the level didnt drop, with no noticeable leak. Checked the fittings and they are all tight. What gives?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I suspect air in the system. The ideal way to bleed these things, is with a pressure bleeder. This is a tank, that you fill with brake fluid and pressurize. A hose and an air-tight fitting to the master cylinder cover, allow you to pressurize the master cylinder and thereby the entire system. Once you do this, just loosen the bleeder and all the air will come out. Second choice is to have an assistant press and hold the pedal, while you have the bleeder screw open. Then you close the bleeder, and the assistant

*slowly* releases the pedal. A few strokes like this and usually all the air comes out. Third choice (can't always find an assistant) is to fasten a flexible hose to the bleeder, immerse the other end of the hose in a container of brake fluid (so it doesn't suck air back) and slowly pump the pedal until all the air comes out.

Another possibility, less likely, is a master cylinder gone bad. (If the slave cylinder goes bad, then it will be leaking.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

also, speaking with Carl, he ordered a new throwout bearing, but they sent him the wrong one, not the slave/bearing showed in your photo. Sooooooo he was forced to use the old one.........

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Ah, it was my fault. I knew I should have replaced it. Actually the fluid was on the bottom of the transmission, I must have not been clear. Going to drive it to work today and see how it goes.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Still leaking pretty bad. Parked the Jeep for the rest of the week, I'll but having a jolly good time pulling it all apart on saturday. Do I install the new one with the straps installed? Do they realease when I push the clutch?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Yes, the straps will release the first time the clutch pedal is pushed.

They can even be reused sometimes.

I take it your throw out bearing and slave are the POS one unit jobs?

Mike

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you take the throwout bearing out of the vehicle, the slave will relax to its maximum extension. The straps are to hold it at minimum extension, so it won't interfere with assembly.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

They hold the slave together, until installed, then just break away as seen in the picture:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to