YJ Tow Wiring setup

Could soemone kindly direct me to some info on wiring up a YJ for towing lighting? I'd like to get the tailights wired for towing. All I know so far is that the tow-er needs a bigger flasher unit, I think. Thanks!

BTW, got my wife's YJ all set. Got rid of the longer shackles and 31" tires and wheels with the bad offset. The shackles had the caster off by

4 degrees and the tires had the powerband all wrong. We went with BFGs in 225/75r15s and OEM wheels via ebay and some Currie boomarang rear shackles and some Currie tow shackles up front. Thanks to you guys (even you blshit) the little runabout drives a LOT less scarey. She is happy. When mom's happy... ;^)
Reply to
Jeepers

L.W.(ßill)

I have not done that, but I would say it would be about the same as trailer wiring. You have to get to the brake lights and park lights.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I swapped my OEM flasher unit for an electronic one, about $12. The OEM unit will flash very rapidly with the extra load of the trailer lights but the electronic flasher will keep the flash rate constant regardless of load.

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

Nice link! Thanks!

I did a Google and found:

Diodes were involved. I assume your sites harnesses included them. I'll give 'em a call.

Reply to
Jeepers

If I understand you correctly, you are going to tow the Jeep itself, not tow with the Jeep. If that is the case, the setup on Jedi's page is the best I've seen. Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ,"Money Hungry" 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Wiring the lamps on a towed vehicle can be simple or complex, depending upon the vehicle being towed. If your vehicle has a Lamp Out Module (LOM) like the ZJ and others, you need to diode isolate each lamp wire. If you don't, you will at a minimum defeat your LOM, and possibly burn it out. In the case of our '93 ZJ it required six (6) diode packs. One for each tail lamp, one for each stop lamp, and one for each turn lamp. If you are going to use stop for turn, you can get by with four, but you still have to consider the wiring coming from the pulling vehicle. I.E. common or separate turn/stop.

Roadmaster is the company that makes the most p>>

Reply to
Dick

I wired my 89 YJ for flat towing...very simple. I cut a hole under the driver's side turn signal, and installed a round trailer connector. I ran the wires though the fire wall and spliced in under the driver's door sill. There I installed heatsink diodes which I purchased at an RV store. Jim

88 Grand Wagoneer 89 Wrangler 00 Grand Cherokee
Reply to
Jim Boucher