YJ transfer case and driveshaft upgrade

Help! My brother destroyed his rear drive shaft leaving Uwharrie National Forest on Saturday. He then tried to limp it to the next exit on US 95 using front wheel drive only and heard a pop. We think he snapped the chain in the transfer case. Since both pieces appear to be toast what is the best upgrade he can do? He has a "'91 YJ, 4.0L, stock transmission, t-case, axles, etc..." Any and all advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Burke Design Group

Take a look at an AtlasII transfer case.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think I would be finding out about that 'pop' before spending money. Your transfer case has a big chain, it doesn't go 'pop', when it goes, it is the noise of a chain beating itself silly usually.

A pop is way more likely one of the 5 front u-joints saying good-bye....

Mike

Burke Design Group wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Atlas II from Qudratec....$2100.00 ouch!!!

I guess you have to pay to play!

Can you convert a Dana 300 to work? Thanks

Reply to
Burke Design Group

Good idea! It's definitely work taking apart first. But he has been considering upgrading anyway. The Atlas II sounds great but pricey! We just want to explore all options for replacing the transfer case as well as the driveshaft.

Reply to
Burke Design Group

I am not sure. try

or
The D300 is as as close to bullet proof as you can get, and it should be reasonably inexpensive.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think you have to jump through some serious hoops to put a D300 onto a YJ, the front diff on the YJ is on the left, it is on the right on CJs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There does exist a kit to "flip" a D300 to work with left-side front pumpkins. I forget who makes it, though.

message

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Bill, Thanks for the links! Very informative! A granny gear would be nice!

Reply to
Burke Design Group