Buying a Kia Sportage

hello. i am buying a 2000 kia sportage. it has 55,000 miles on it. i drove it today, it drove great, and even used the 4wd and it worked perfect. the only problem the psgr windows do not work, and there is a squeaky belt. the previous owner put a junk stereo in it, i am gonna change that. anyone have any recommendations on what I should have done to it, maintainence wise, or any comments? thanks

Reply to
Sox_in_2005

your going to be doing some heavy maintenance soon, but it is all normal. I bought a 2000 for my daughter, I have a 2001. Here goes; at 60,000 you MUST have the timing belt changed, plus you might was well replace the roller tensioners at the same time, comes as a kit. Change the water pump while that is apart, as you are right next to it. while it's apart, plugs, and fuel filter, and ignition wires and cap and rotor. Probabily a new set of belts too, as you have to take the old ones off to get to the timing cover. Drop the tranny fluid, and put in a new transmission filter and gasket set. Change the transaxle oil, replace the front axle seals, and probabbily he 4wd seals. Cost me a shade over $700 with an $80 an hour labor rate (NY rates). I provided the timing belt kit ($102).Took a day. Then you are good for another 60,000 miles, if you change the oil every 3000 miles. As for the stereo, simple. pry open the black bezel, remove the 4 screws that hold the radio, it comes out with the black compartment bolted to it. put the new one in the same place, and put it back. I put a Kenwood in hers. Pep Boys has a plug adapter that just plugs in the back and into the Kia harness. plus you will need a Motorola to mini motorola antenna adapter, again I found it for $4 at pep boys, but if you need another source, contact me. I have a few of them. If it's not a DIN standard radio/cd player, again email me and I'll send you the name of a wholesaller who stocks a Kia adapter plate for under $20. The windows are usually the lift arm has come off the track, of the motor has burnt out from being jammed. see if you can pull it up by hand and silicone the track, you might be able to recover the motor. Squeeky belt will be fixed with the above, just need tightening.

Reply to
helix