Kia Sedona Brake Change Questions

Hello All

Im going to attempt to change the brake pads on a Kia 2005 Sedona. I haven't changed brakes for about 20 years so this is why I am inquiring. Any tricks on the Kia that I need to be aware of? Or is it pretty much just take out the bolts, replace the pads and put it back together. If all goes perfect I guess.

I did have the guy at the parts store climb under the van and tell me that the bolts are hex and I should have a socket to fit it.

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks in advance.

CB ~

Reply to
CB

Maybe it's just me, but I would NEVER change brake pads without either putting on new rotors or getting the current ones "turned" (re-surfaced).

Take the rotors off and take them to an auto parts store. Most of them can turn rotors (in my area, they would need the rotors for about two hours, and would charge you around $25 for the pair). But first, have them measure the rotors to make sure they are still "turn-able" (that they aren't so thin that there isn't enough surface left to effectively re-surface). Unless your brakes got down to metal on metal, they should be good to be re-turned, though usually only once - the next time you put on new pads you will HAVE to put on new rotors.

The biggest trick I have seen with these Kias is that sometimes those rotors don't want to come off so easily. You might need a block and hammer to pry them off. But you won't get optimal braking performance unless the rotor surface is perfectly smooth for the new brake pads.

Thankfully, even high quality ceramic brake pads for the Sedona are not all that expensive. So don't try to get the absolute cheapest ones out there. Most of my area parts stores have a choice of two, and even the more expensive ones are only in the vicinity of $40 for the set.

After that, few if any surprises.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt