Fasten seat belt/keys in ignition chime WILL NOT TURN OFF. Help.

2001 Kia optima LX6. I accidently slammed the door shut on the seat belt a few months ago. Ever since then the door chime has been screwy. Starts ringing when I hit a bump in the road, hit the brakes, make a hard turn. If I'm just running errands about town it's merely irritating. On a 110 mile, 2 1/2 hour drive it's maddening. Just finished long drive home, chime rang constantly for almost 2 hours on the freeway. Help! Were do I look to find the source of the problem? Is there a way to shut the chime off, it sounds like it's buried in the dash. tia.
Reply to
Machine Messiah

Couple thoughts:

[1] Some cars have a pressure sensor in the seat. When you turn the ignition on, the belt system has a specific sequence -- it checks for seat pressure before it checks if the seatbelt is locked. This prevents folks who close the seatbelt first to defeat the system before they sit. [2] If your car does have a seat pressure sensor and it's messed-up, it may be triggering when you bounce due to bumps.
Reply to
italiangm

The other two places to check are the seatbelt switch and the door switch. They may become intermittent as the car moves.

Reply to
italiangm

Where do I look for these switches? Thanks very much.

Reply to
Machine Messiah

A friend of mine got under the dash a disconnected the wires to the bell. I better not leave my keys in the ignition and lock the doors :0 Thanks italiangm.

Reply to
Machine Messiah