Kia Starter

My 2000 kia just died today. I drove it fine this morning and then parked it on my street. When I came back an hour later when I tried to start it it turned over once then just comepletely died. So I went back inside and an hour later came back out and now the interior lights come on but the car will still not start. Could this just be a drained battery? I need it fixed fast.

Reply to
zephinia

From what you've described do the following:

  1. Have your battery charged fully then load tested. You could have a dead cell(s) and it's not holding a charge.
  2. Have your alternator tested. If it's putting out anything less than
13.5volts while running it is bad and not charging your battery.

My bet is that your battery is most probably OK (but almost fully drained right now) but your alternator is bad. However, there is a possibility that both may be gone so don't be surprised if your mechanic or dealer says to replace both.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Exact same symptoms I had on my 2001 Sephia. The alternator appeared to be fine at idle, but as soon as it got over about 1500 RPM it would cut out. That meant that the battery had to supply all of the electrical power whenever it was driven. The short term solution until I could get it to the dealer was to put a battery charger on it every night.

When I finally took mine to the dealer they tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with the charging system. After a lengthy discussion with the Service Manager I got them to test it again at highway speed RPM. That finally convinced them and they replaced the alternator.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bromley

First check the battery connections for corrosion. a mechanic can check for load test and crank load test with a Snap-on meter. in one case it turned out everything was fine, but the battery ground was not making a good contact, under the connector was white corrosion that acted as an insulator.

Reply to
helix