KIA: Worst Financial Decision I've Ever Made

I am very pleased to announce that I traded-in my 2002 Kia Sedona. After only 9 months (with about 1-1/2 of those where the vehicle was
completely undrivable) and ~8,000 miles, I am free from the worst vehicle I have ever owned-- make that-- ever driven or ridden in.
Because the dealer I traded it into refuses to even keep it on the lot, I had to accept auction value. When offering the low trade-in amount, they specifically noted that, because it is a Kia, it is practically worthless.
I wound up with equity of -$4,000, but I had to cut my losses. I highly doubt that the vehicle will make it to 150K miles without needing at least one major and multiple minor repairs. I feel sorry for the next person who gets tricked into buying it (or for anyone who buys any Kia for that matter). I'm not financially well-off by any means, so buying the Sedona is a decision that will haunt me for years.
I won't rehash all my problems with this vehicle or my feelings about the Kia corporation. They are spelled out in these two threads at KIA-forums.com:
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona/31283-problems-w-newly-acquired-2002-kia.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-forum/35559-whats-good-price-sedona-ex.html#post162957
I'll stick around awhile before fading away...

Why'd you keep it all that time?

Christian Yes, it's sad to read all those threads, and I am surprised that Kia Motors and their dealerships did not give you more support. I am in the UK, and we don't have such large distances to travel to the dealer, so I can be there in 20mins. I have a Sept.06 Sedona 2.9 diesel, done 1100 miles only, so it,s a bit early for anything major to happen. I have been going careful anyway, it's a low revving long stroke engine, with good torque. The top gear is approx. 35mph per 1000rpm. My latest fill up calculated to 25.6mpg, which is not as good s expected. The temp gauge is reading low, and I suspect the coolant sensor is also sending the wrong info. to the ECU, causing more fuel to be injected than necessary, well that's my theory at the moment. Good Luck with your new vehicle. Gordon
Spanner wrote:

Hey Gordon,
I hear the newer Sedona/Carnival minivans are supposed to be better. So, hopefully, your problems will be only a few minor ones and you'll have many miles of happy motoring.
-- Christian
I bouguht a 2002 kia spectra with 10,000 miles a year ago for 5,000 bucks, it has taken me to the mose remote places. great deal

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona/31283-problems-w-newly-acquired-2002-kia.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-forum/35559-whats-good-price-sedona-ex.html#post162957
I read your threads and those are really minor, picky things that could have or should have been fixed by the dealer. The bottom line is that you talked yourself into being 'hosed' by another wonderful dealer offering you a very low trade in. You basically got screwed by your 'new' dealer, not necessarily the Kia dealer. You bought a car with 100,000 miles on it, for heaven's sake!!! What did you expect? A Rolls? I didn't read anything that would have put it 'completely undriveable' for 1 1/2 months. I think you are just disgruntled more at yourself than anyone else. I have a 2003 Sedona and it's served us well with only a few pesky problems I have learned to live with rather than let the dealer screw things up worse. That is not a Kia trait but a dealer trait in general.

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona/31283-problems-w-newly-acquired-2002-kia.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-forum/35559-whats-good-price-sedona-ex.html#post162957

Honestly, a lot of vehicles run a lot longer with a lot less problems. I have an '85 Saab that chalked up 165K before dying. My '96 Plymouth Voyager is still going strong at 198K+. I know someone with a Chevy Suburban that's sound at over 170K. Rolls? Yeesh...

Great, an automobile newsgroup pyschotherapist. Just what I need.
-- Christian
I didn't say it wouldn't run anymore once it got to 100,000 miles. It's just that it is wishful thinking to believe that a car with 100,000 miles isn't going to have problems that need attention. Your '96 POS Voyager had its share of problems, I'm sure, because I owned one also. Maybe you should seek a psychotherapist, if you can't take criticism by me and, in case you didn't notice, others on this newsgroup.
Tom

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:02:04 -0400, "tjnamtiw"

POS? You can't make that judgment because you know nothing about it. It hasn't been problem-free. But, none of its three big problems appeared before 180K miles. One of them was fixed free by Chrysler. Neither of the other two were as significant as the Sedona's burning a quart of oil every 3K miles.

Criticism that focuses on the issue can be relevant. Otherwise, it's just argumentum ad hominem.
-- Christian
Shoot the messenger??? You're the one that mentioned that I was a psychotherapist for making my comments, so you were first to advance the argumentum ad hominem..... :o)
How did you get Chrysler to pay for a repair at 180,000 miles??? I think we would all like to know how you forced them to do that.

Tom wrote:

Nuh-uh. You wrote, "I think you are just disgruntled more at yourself than anyone else.." This took the focus off of the issue (the Sedona) and placed it upon the person (me).

Well, wasn't I who forced them. They issued a clockspring-repair recall about a month after my airbag light started glowing and my cruise control buttons stopped working.
-- Christian

Yes, you make a valid point. But what you completely missed the boat on is how was the vehicle treated and maintained for the first 100,000 miles? If you let an idiot put 100k on a car....wait, a MINIVAN for chrissakes that was probably helped along into its current condition by several kids, and then you get it...guess what, you just inherited a nightmare. And you cannot blame Kia for that.

I'm going to second what was said here. You've been hell bent on bashing Kia ever since you got here. Can I wave and help show you the door now that you've sold "the worst car of your life"? I mean really, why stick around and fill the room with hate?
BTW - My 97 Sephia turned 100k on the way back from six flags magic mountain last weekend. We still managed to hit 105mph in traffic running smooth as silk. Hasn't burned a drop of oil, doesn't leak anything..but it does need a clutch pretty soon.
But by your logic I should probably expect a door to fly off and the engine to throw a rod next time I drive it since I've hit the magical 100k mark.
Regards,
Chris

Well, for some of the things, possibly. For some of them, no.

First, this isn't alt.fan.kia. There's nothing to indicate that it's a gathering place for those who love Kia autos. Second, let's be accurate. I have not been "hell bent on bashing Kia" since I got here. My first post was seeking help on problems with my Sedona. I've posted a lot of messages trying to help others.
What's odd is, I say negative things about a vehicle and you say I "fill the room with hate," but you and others don't mind shifting the issue away from an inanimate object in order to attack a person.
Why shouldn't I stick around? If the responses to my very first post here are any indication, someone who can offer some help on a Sedona would be good in this group.

My Sedona was past 106K and still had all four doors (five, if you count the hatch), and hadn't thrown a rod.
-- Christian
Why stick around? There's a lemon in every lot of everything. My Kia Sportage is one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Your comments are to inclusive.
-MW
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:06:22 -0700, Christian M. Mericle wrote:

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona/31283-problems-w-newly-acquired-2002-kia.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-forum/35559-whats-good-price-sedona-ex.html#post162957

Why not stick around?

Of course they're inclusive. I was talking about MY Sedona, MY problems, MY decision.
I wasn't talking about YOUR Sportage, YOUR lack of problems, or YOUR decision.
Inclusive? Yes, as designed. Too inclusive? Not at all.
-- Christian

Wrong--Here's your statement:
"I feel sorry for the next person who gets tricked into buying it (or for anyone who buys any Kia for that matter)."
If that is not an across the board all inclusive statement of ALL KIAS relative to your single own experience, then you do not know the meaning of such.
-MW
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:19:32 -0600, CMM wrote:

mark wrote:

That is an all-inclusive statement of MY feelings on the matter. If you don't think I should feel that way, that's your perogative. I'm not going to say you're wrong for thinking that. It doesn't make sense for you to say I'm wrong for feeling that way. Feelings and opinions are just that. They are not facts and, therefore, cannot be logically argued.
-- Christian

I will say it once again (last time)--One (you in this case) can not make an all-inclusive statement that no one should buy a Kia based on your one bad experience. I had a GE refrigerator that sucked but I am not going to say that no one should ever consider buying GE. Your emotions are getting the best of you. Needless to say, it sucks that 'your Kia experience' was negative, but does that translate into an across the board conclusion that "all Kia's suck and anyone who buys one is sad?"
-MW
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:21:25 -0700, Christian M. Mericle wrote:

Mark sensed the same thing that I did. "Your emotions are getting the best of you". That's why I was labeled as a psychotherapist by CMM and continued to get subjected to CMM's 'superior' intellect and debating skills. Since he doesn't have a Kia any longer, I also ask the question - 'Why hang around'. BE GONE!!!

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:33:21 -0400, "tjnamtiw"

Actually, I still have the Sedona... for one more day at least.
-- Christian