Timing Belt

Re: Kia Sportage 1997, not a 4X4

One morning I turned the engine on and the timing belt snapped. From just trying to turn it on, the mechanics claim that when the timing belt broke, it bent the valves?? Now the vehicle runs briefly and if it is in idle for more than a minute or two, the engine gets HOT and I have to pull over and turn it off. I am not sure I want to spend $1,000. or more to fix this problem, but I wonder if I am getting the right information from the MEINEKE mechanics. These guys changed the timing belt and supposedly checked the engine and said they changed the oil too. Yet when I checked the oil two weeks later it was a quart low, so I looked at the oil filter and it was the old filter. So these Meineke guys lied about changing the oil. Could there be something else wrong with the engine?? I really like the Sportage, but I do not know if it is worth another $1,000. ++ in repairs. And I wonder how well it will run if it is repaired.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

al

Reply to
Curley

If I recall correctly, this is a noninterference engine. Besides, if the valves were bent, it would misfire, but that would not cause it to overheat. Is the coolant full? The thermostat housing must be removed to change the timing belt.

It's also important to tension the belt properly, which is NOT done at tdc. It's also possible they may not have lined up the belt correctly if the car stops running after a short period of time. Does it stop running because it's overheating or for some other reason.

Do you have a receipt which show they changed the oil and filter. If so, you have them in a bind. That's fraud.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" The thermostat housing must be removed to

The car does not stop running, but once it gets starts to move towards HOT, I pull over and turn it off because I do not want to ruin the engine, especially since I do not know what is wrong with it. These guys seem to have not fixed it properly, especially since once the timing belt was on, they wanted to steer me to the brother in law who fixes the valves at $1000. The claim that the timing belt blows out the engine when it snaps. Should I take this car to the dealership? They are usually worse and at twice the price, but the only other choice might be Goodyear, and they charge an arm and a leg. I do not want to spend a $1000. just to get the car back in the same shape it was in.

thanks,

Reply to
Curley

Have you checked the level of coolant in the radiator? How about the belts, is the waterpump belt tight? How about the waterpump itself? Can you rock the pulley back and forth excessively?

If the valves were bent you'd be having a problem getting the thing to run at all. Valves that do not close all the way will destroy the ability of your engine to pump air. Easiest way to check this is to put a vaccum gauge on it and see how much vaccum you have at idle. Check this url for more information

First off, don't ever take your car to the dealership unless it is under warranty. My experience with dealer techs has been very poor. Most of them are undertrained part-swappers. They do not understand how to fix cars. Goodyear, meineke, and any other chain-outlet type of repair shop is another place I would NEVER take my car. What you need is an honest, reliable mechanic. You will not find them at the chain stores.

Your other option is to buy the service manual for your car and do the repairs yourself. Without seeing your car, the best advice I can give is to make a check of your entire cooling system, belt, hoses, coolant level, make sure your fan clutch is still working, and if all else fails it could be a stuck thermostat. You may want to check for leaks if the water level is low, the best way to do that is to rent a radiator pressure tester at autozone, make sure you get the import radiator adaptor. If you have a leak, that tool will find it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Reply to
Hal