Warranty Coverage?

I was looking around at some car repo and salvage lots and saw a

2003 Kia Optima for $2000. It had a fair amount of body damage from a side impact, but it was 100% sheetmetal. I figure $6K in total damage - but mostly, it's both doors and a front fender to replace outright plus some tweaking the car into shape.

Pretty easy DIYer job to fix, actually. Not as in - gosh - it looks like new, but funcitonal and runs down the road. Repainting won't even happen - no point.

5K miles on it. As you can imagine, a salvage title. Still, a car with 5K on it that drives okay for $2K...

So - the question is, it seems like a good car to beat up and drive into the ground, being nearly new, but I know it's no Toyota or even GM.

So...

About the warranty. I know if the original buyer sells it that all coverages drop to half. Q: is the drivetrain warranty still in effect? It is only 6 months old, afterall.

My hope is that it would have couple of years left on it and that I can keep the engine running with it for cheap. The rest of the car - it's a beater a far as I'm concerned, so as long as the rear axle doesn't shear off or something silly, it's okay.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

schucha

Thanks. Have to pass, then, as KIAs are nice mostly because of that warranty.

I did look at the Sephia a while back and drove one and it reminded me eerrily of my old 1984 Buick Regal. Same construction, same suspension designs, same sort of okay acceleration. About the same price, too.

Unfortunately, the same reliability. That is, good, but you will require that warranty every so often.

My Buick wasn't a bad car, actually. But compared to today's Toyotas and such, yeah - it would lag behind a bit.

OTOH, a ten year warranty is useful and mitigates most of the ills of the design. They are what they are - cheap, affordable, basic transportation that is guaranteed for a large number of miles.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Well, that's somewhat misleading. The 10/100 warranty a.) only applies to the first owner (5/50 for second owner) and b.) only covers the powertrain. This does not include a lot of things that frequently go wrong, and is something that should be considered.

Still, if you need a cheap car, it's a good buy..

Reply to
Bill Pitz

I know this. Also, if you want the warranty when you buy the car, you have to waive all rights to sue them or apply for lemon law coverage.

Technically, you can refuse to sign the warranty coverage waiver and they can't do anything about it, but it's a miserable catch-22 since the car will eventually break down. (learned this today - go figure)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

It is DOUTFUL that any major issues will arise with the drivetrain that is maintained. Buy it, fix it, drive it with pride , but service it and you will be far ahead $$ wise.

Reply to
Im Right