101 brake drum must have shrunk ...

Ok then. Got myself some Britpart brake cylinders from Beamends (at a very reasonable price I might add), and have what appear to be the correct shoes (I was supplied with them and don't know the source) so I could set about the leaking front brakes on the 101. Got all the fittings to undo and replaced the cylinders ... obviously a bad omen as I hadn't sheared anything off. New shoes went on but brake drum wouldn't!!! Adjusters backed right off and with some persuasion I've got the drum on but it's far too tight on the shoes to be usable.

I've exercised the adjusters (the few clicks they will go) and pumped the pedal to try to centralise the shoes if they're misaligned but no joy.

Going to do some comparison measurements of take-off and new parts tomorrow but anyone got any other ideas short of the incredible shrinking brake-drum?

Reply to
AJG

AJG uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Try the shoes on another axle which you know the cylinders work on. If it fits then it'll be the cylinders that are some how wrong.. if it doesn't then It'll be the shoes.

Do the cylinders have a profile on the slot in the piston? If so is this the wrong way around? I.e. Would rotating the piston by 180 degrees put things right?

Could be way off the mark but just thoughts off the top of my head.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I had many sets of shoes (for various vehicles) in the past that have needed judicious attention with a file where they pivot and touch the pistons to make them fit. And conversely I've had the occasional set (all have been Mazda shoes) that have needed a small application of weld to build them up so they will adjust corectly.

So long as the lining radius matches the drum and the extra adjustment needed is only slight filing them is an acceptable option.

PS. Having absolutely no idea about the way 101 brakes are designed (and if they are twin-leading shoes then ignore this) I will also suggest checking that you have the leading and trailing shoes correctly positioned.

Reply to
EMB

Must be all that rain weve had shrinking them :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 08 May 2006 12:52:38 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

twin leading shoes on every wheel, AIUI, which is a bit of a daft thing to do, as it means it's got hopeless brakes in reverse. I believe this is what's known by software engineers as a "feature".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You don't start a climb unless you a damned sure you are going to make it! The brakes are only just passable going forwards, going backwards you might as well drag your foot on the road....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It's probably granny, eggs, sucking etc - but you have got everything the right way round? Usually the problem with drum brakes is the exact opposite...... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

A least we know why the Italian armt didn't buy them :-) Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Why would the Italians need brakes going backwards for? I'd have thought they'd want strong brakes forward but none backwards...

hehe, nothing like a bit of johnny foreigner bashing..

Just trying to think up something French-related now.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , beamendsltd writes

Everything looks correct ... adjusters on the snails, springs in the spring holes etc. and the pair of shoes look identical. I did the near side today in about 30 minutes except I didn't replace the cylinders. I've measured everything and I can't see the difference. I've reseated the shoes again today and I'll be blowed if I can see what's wrong. My next trick is to put the shoes into the drums loose and make sure there isn't a twist on one of the shoes ...

Reply to
AJG